Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DUCTED FAN JETS

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DUCTED FAN JETS

Old 01-06-2007, 03:12 PM
mafrasca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DUCTED FAN JETS

Hi I thought I'll start a new thread for those who are interetsed in ducted fan jets. If you have any questions about them please post them here. Have fun!
Old 01-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Default RE: DUCTED FAN JETS

Mafrasca,

That was a good idea to start a new thread. I really didn't care for the name on the old thread. I'm building a DF Avonds F-14 and have a TGA F-15 and just bought a TGA Mig-29. All are DFs using the OS .91 and Dynamax fans. Until turbines are more affordable I'll stay with Ducted Fans.

David
Old 01-06-2007, 05:51 PM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

David,
I second that emotion. I would love to have a turbine, but until they are not a quantum leap more expensive than everything else in RC I just can't justify spending the money on one. Like they say, don't fly a plane you can't afford to crash.

On a related subject, why in the world is everything associated with jets so over priced? $600 for landing gear [X(]? That is more than I paid for my first two cars. I love trick gadgets and have had some high end composite airframes with top quality servos and gear and it still wasn't outrageous compared to jet stuff.

That being said, I intend to support ducted fans as long as equipment is available! Go DF!

Anthony
The following users liked this post:
flyncrazy (11-07-2023)
Old 01-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Tomcat_104

Anthony,

AMEN! I want a turbine but since I need TWO that would cost at lease $6000.00, I just don't have that kind of money "laying around". My landing gear for my F-14 cost me $1100.00 PLUS shipping, while my LG for my GS Corsair, my GS P-40 and my GS Mustang cost me less than $1000.00. By the way my 1st 2 cars cost me less than $500 while my 3rd, my pride and joy, a '67 Z-28 cost me a whopping $1000.00. I thought that was a lot of money until I started building jets!

I'm with you, go DF!

David
Old 01-06-2007, 06:52 PM
mafrasca

Anyone want to build a Skyburner? Follow this link,

http://rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?...35232b8070af36

Enjoy!!
Old 01-06-2007, 07:24 PM
chipperg
My Feedback: (9)

I have a YA 16 that I bought here, I flew it for the fist time last week and I loved it. I am looking at a Baby Boomerang but the cost is still close to 2K. GO DF!!!
Old 01-06-2007, 07:27 PM
chipperg

My first car was a 1977 Chevy Nova with an inline 6. It was free because my sister did not want it. I now have a wild 650 hp 1970 Nova in the works.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Tomcat_104

I must be older than you guys, my first car was a 55 Bel Air Chevy. I gave that car to my younger cousin. I was young then and apparently VERY stupid.

David
Old 01-06-2007, 09:12 PM
darthvaj

I agree, DF's are alot more affordable and just as much fun to fly. I would love to have a turbine, but the price is to high for the airframes not the small turbines. Then you have to worry about the waiver to fly it at most fields. I have a Byron F-16 i bought new many many moons ago and i just now finished building it . I started this kit over 7 years ago, I have moved several time because of being in the Air Force.
I wish there were more companys making jet kits for the DF fliers and fan units. BVM use to be the place to go and it was for a few years after the turbines came online, but now you can't even find a bvm DF (with exception of the F-86).
Old 01-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Tomcat_104

Just keep looking on RCU and EBay and maybe you'll get lucky. I recently got a good deal on a MIG-29 that I had been looking for for several years. You just have to always be looking. It is a shame that many kit builders have abandoned us DF guys.

Hey darthvaj, you say that you are in the Air Force. Thank you!

David[8D]
Old 01-06-2007, 10:06 PM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recenlty purchased a YA F18 single kit and can't wait to get started on it. O.S. 91 and Dynamax. Many years ago I wanted to get involved in DF but coudn't afford the equipment then. Now I get back into the hobby and find that people are spending $5,000 on a powerplant. I'm just grateful that the Df stuff is still around.

BTW, 67 Volkswagon Squareback for I think around $200.00 - doesn't even buy the Dynamax now!!!
Old 01-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Tomcat_104

Deltron,

Please post some pictures of your Y/A F-18. It will take me a while to get to it but that's my next plane. Did you buy it from Y/A? Do they still make a DF version? I talked to Charles a few weeks ago and never thought to ask him about a DF. I have one of his P-40s right now.

I think you win with a 67 VW Sguareback. And your right if you traded it in on a Dynamax fan you'd STLL owe money.

David
Old 01-07-2007, 02:09 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's hear some opinions about the best starter D/F jet...

I've been flying sport and scale planes for about 16 years, and I'm about ready to have a jet. Maybe something scale. I would probably want to use an OS .91 so nothing too small.

So which jet builds the best? Or flies the best? Or is just the best one to start with?

(Oh, mine was a '63 Chevy Corvair [8D] )
Old 01-07-2007, 02:29 AM
buddude8
My Feedback: (10)

david, here is all the info you need to know about the f-18 and it was done df

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4881568/tm.htm

ken
Old 01-07-2007, 02:50 AM
AAbdu

I have been absolutely elated with my TGA F-15. I only have one flight on it but "OH WHAT A FEELING". That baby flew right off the board with nothing but a single click of left aileron. It didn't break any speed records, but it certainly flew with authority. FOD cracked a fan blade on the next star up and then winter came. I have been stock piling ducted fan motors, fans, pipes, etc in anticipation of wearing that airframe out come spring!

The F-15 came highly recommended and seems to be a good flyer with its generous lifting area and potential light weight. My only concern is getting over the OS-91 learning curve where I can be confidant that it will not quit on me.

First car: 78 Chevy K-5 Blazer with major cancer. It had more rust than metal and would run ten seconds after you turned the key off. If you looked down while driving you could actually see the miles passing underneath. I bought it myself for $250 and was glad to have it. My girlfriend and I had great times at the drive in with that truck. Good thing gas was cheap back then. Paid around $380 for my first OS-91 so that truck wouldn't have been an even trade. I don't think I could sleep at night knowing that I spent 10 to 12 thousand on a single airplane. I am sure that I have that much in equipment around the house, but it wouldn't be wiped out by a single crash.

Thanks for listening
Anthony

P.S. This is the ducted fan thread for ducted fan lovers. I won't speak for everyone, but as far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as being off topic. Let's chat, share ideas, reminisce, and enjoy the best the web has to offer. And above all else, lets not take ourselves too seriously as others have been prone to do. It's all about having fun.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:01 AM
AAbdu

Oh yeah, I agree, it would be great if manufacturers used current technology to introduce new DF kits, engines, and fans.
First item on my DF wish list.
Something outside the box like a high torque, low revving, high pitch impeller for existing shrouds (Dynamax, Ramtec, Byron, etc). Something that would put out more thrust and from an off the shelf OS, YS, Thunder Tiger, or even Magnum .60 or .91 at between 12 and 14 thousand RPMs. It would use standard 10% fuel and not break con rods and blow glow plugs due to high revs or compression.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:13 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: ho2zoo

Let's hear some opinions about the best starter D/F jet...

I've been flying sport and scale planes for about 16 years, and I'm about ready to have a jet. Maybe something scale. I would probably want to use an OS .91 so nothing too small.

So which jet builds the best? Or flies the best? Or is just the best one to start with?

(Oh, mine was a '63 Chevy Corvair [8D] )

Ho,

I think you will find that the TGA F-15 and Byron's F-16 were the DF starter jet choice for most. They introduced many people to the jet scene, including myself with a Byron's. Nowadays many guys wanting to get into jets start with one of the many turbine trainers available if they can afford it and choose to. You can still find the 15 and 16 here on RCU or even eBay and are very good choices for a first DF.

George

(BTW- My first car was a 1980 Trans Am [sm=shades_smile.gif])
Old 01-07-2007, 04:49 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

An easy question from a hang-around memeber:

How exactly do you start an IC DF engine, the whole thing being buried in the center of the fuselage?
Old 01-07-2007, 05:13 AM
mafrasca

Hey Guys,

Good to see some great posts flowing through this thread. Keep up the good work!

Now as for starting the DF engine most common DF units these days have a bolt with a hexagonal type head on the fans spinner. You can purchase a starting wand (similar to that the heli boys use but much longer). The wand normally passes through an opening underneath the canopy to the hex bolt in the fan. The other end has a coupling that suits most standard motors.

You could probably use any type of starter but the one I use is the Sullivan Dynatron (not cheap but has enough torque for the job). If you use a standard starter you will need to losen the glow plug to lower compression. Don't worry on an OS91 engine it will still start under these conditions with ease. Thats what you get from a quality engine.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:10 AM
perttime

ORIGINAL: mafrasca
Now as for starting the DF engine most common DF units these days have a bolt with a hexagonal type head on the fans spinner. You can purchase a starting wand (similar to that the heli boys use but much longer). The wand normally passes through an opening underneath the canopy to the hex bolt in the fan.
I have some problems visualising this.

Anybody got a picture?
Old 01-07-2007, 06:11 AM
Gregor32
My Feedback: (1)

hi mafrasca, have you flown the skyburner yet? im just about ready for my maiden on a trim f20 ive spent the last couple of weeks sanding primer and then sanding primer and finally putting the final coats on. i hope too reinstall all the gear this week and maiden next weekend. the only thing im a bit unsure of is the exaust that ive got, its a macs 1190 tuned pipe no muffler just a straight pipe so its going to be very loud also it doesnt have a proper coupler i have to use a 20mm silicon coupling tube and hose clamps. maybe i should just get a propper 91df pipe from trimaircraft? any way here are a couple of photos of my progress so far.
p.s. bought airframe off ebay mid last year for $300au. jet flying doesnt have to be expensive
cheers greg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27137.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	592612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87832.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	592613  
Old 01-07-2007, 06:51 AM
Gregor32

perttime hope this helps, it a shaft that fits your starter and has a hex shaft on one end that locates in the fan hub.
greg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62782.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	592647  
Old 01-07-2007, 07:42 AM
Xairflyer

I agree with the new thread much better.

Thorjet in the UK are still very ducted fan people, I've spoken to Peter many times on the phone and he is very helpful.
Peter said there is still a lot of interest and they are sending out stuff all the time.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:10 AM
perttime

ORIGINAL: Gregor32

perttime hope this helps, it a shaft that fits your starter and has a hex shaft on one end that locates in the fan hub.
greg
Thanks. So, in most cases the shaft can reach the fan hub through an intake.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:32 AM
chipperg

The YA F-16 flew like a big stik. The plane was fast but not that fast. I flew it 3/4 throttle and landed with 1/4 throttle. You do have to get accustome to the loooong take off roll and landing roll. You have to stay on top of the mixture control, but I thought it was pretty easy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.