Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Using FAA number as custom AMA number ?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Using FAA number as custom AMA number ?

Old 05-26-2016, 06:10 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Using FAA number as custom AMA number ?

Ok , I had a thought the other day , tell me if you think it's a good idea or not .

For those who don't really care what their AMA number is , since the AMA offers "custom" AMA numbers , and since we can't pick our FAA numbers , I have been considering giving up my old AMA number and switching that to be the same as my FAA number . This way , I could have something like ;

FAA/AMA XXXXXXXXX

Or perhaps

FAAXXXXXXXXAMA

on the plane to cover having both numbers . It was just an idea I had when I was thinking about LCS actually , if you remember he had the custom AMA number "TUFF 1" for his "Texas Unlimited Fun Flyers" club and that's what got me to thinking that since the AMA does give out custom numbers that would be a great way to have only one number on the plane .

Good idea ? Bad idea? What says you .....
Old 05-26-2016, 06:39 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

"KISS" principle, gotta love it
Old 05-26-2016, 07:26 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One and done..makes sense.

Some folks hold their AMA number near and dear and wouldn't want to lose it. I think the ama is still pressing the FAA to allow us to use our AMA numbers, don't know where that process is now.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

I will not and do not have to register.

I plan to start the kit below this weekend.

http://www.bmjrmodels.com/free-fligh.../speckled-p-30
Old 05-26-2016, 07:59 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by porcia83

Some folks hold their AMA number near and dear and wouldn't want to lose it. I think the ama is still pressing the FAA to allow us to use our AMA numbers, don't know where that process is now.
Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
"KISS" principle, gotta love it

Exactly , the one number covers all , that was my idea . I do understand that guys with a sentimental attachment to their number wouldn't do it , and yea waiting to see if during this kinda new process the FAA would accept an AMA number then I could see waiting it out . I do have a 5 digit number which I guess would be coveted but one good look at me would tell ya I've been around the planes for a while* . I never did put my number on any plane with non removable materials so I can basically just peel & stick them at will so for me a number change wouldn't be too much trouble at all .

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot

Sport , I think it's great that you've got the open space for free flight , both that and the estees rockets were always too much for the local areas where I fly . The rockets in particular , one good breeze and on that little parachute the thing can travel far far out of sight . Do you have one of those "egg beater" type winder rigs for the rubber bands ? The rubber alone is a science in itself !

* anyone who can show ya a picture of one of these on his run up stand has been around at least somewhat of a while
Old 05-26-2016, 08:08 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't anticipate any changes to my AMA number.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:41 AM
Sport_Pilot

Sport , I think it's great that you've got the open space for free flight , both that and the estees rockets were always too much for the local areas where I fly . The rockets in particular , one good breeze and on that little parachute the thing can travel far far out of sight . Do you have one of those "egg beater" type winder rigs for the rubber bands ? The rubber alone is a science in itself !
It comes with 10 feet of very good rubber, but no covering. Planning to buy the Coverite or Solartex micro film. I do not have the eggbeater but they don't cost much. The local free flight club meets once a month at a sod farm about an hour away. and I hope to finish by the late June meet. I will have to join but that is cheap as well. BTW the designer of the Speckled P-30 George Perryman was a member of the cub and probably a founder the Thermal Thumbers of Metro Atlanta. I will have to restrain myself from winding the rubber to the max at a local park for the test flights. A couple of years ago I built their Ranger 28 kit and was very impressed by the performance, this should be better than that.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:23 AM
init4fun

It comes with 10 feet of very good rubber, but no covering. Planning to buy the Coverite or Solartex micro film. I do not have the eggbeater but they don't cost much. The local free flight club meets once a month at a sod farm about an hour away. and I hope to finish by the late June meet. I will have to join but that is cheap as well. BTW the designer of the Speckled P-30 George Perryman was a member of the cub and probably a founder the Thermal Thumbers of Metro Atlanta. I will have to restrain myself from winding the rubber to the max at a local park for the test flights. A couple of years ago I built their Ranger 28 kit and was very impressed by the performance, this should be better than that.
Well I have to say I think that's just awesome that you found a way around participating in the FAA debacle while continuing to enjoy your love of flying things . If I had the open land and wasn't so much of a "techie" with regards to the radios , engines and motors , I'd wish I had a way to just fly without all of the increasing baggage that's becoming attached to the hobby too . I started out with control line and couldn't wait to get my first radio , and if while i'm alive things get TOO crazy (RC pilot physicals , Annual airworthiness inspections & certification of RC models , stuff like that) I'd go back to control line in an instant , provided I'm healthy enough to not get dizzy going around in circles .
Old 05-26-2016, 11:14 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
Well I have to say I think that's just awesome that you found a way around participating in the FAA debacle while continuing to enjoy your love of flying things . If I had the open land and wasn't so much of a "techie" with regards to the radios , engines and motors , I'd wish I had a way to just fly without all of the increasing baggage that's becoming attached to the hobby too .

Not sure what baggage you're referring to, but the only thing that's changed for me in the past year was the completion of a five minute on-line registration process that cost me $5, a new wallet sized piece of paper in my flight box, and another number alongside my AMA number on my aircraft. That's it! I continue to enjoy the hobby now just as I did last year. Probably even more so now with all the wonderful folks I've met on this sub-forum who I hope I get to fly with in the near future.

I started out with control line and couldn't wait to get my first radio , and if while i'm alive things get TOO crazy (RC pilot physicals , Annual airworthiness inspections & certification of RC models , stuff like that) I'd go back to control line in an instant , provided I'm healthy enough to not get dizzy going around in circles .
Old 05-26-2016, 11:47 AM
cj_rumley

Well I have to say I think that's just awesome that you found a way around participating in the FAA debacle while continuing to enjoy your love of flying things . If I had the open land and wasn't so much of a "techie" with regards to the radios , engines and motors , I'd wish I had a way to just fly without all of the increasing baggage that's becoming attached to the hobby too . I started out with control line and couldn't wait to get my first radio , and if while i'm alive things get TOO crazy (RC pilot physicals , Annual airworthiness inspections & certification of RC models , stuff like that) I'd go back to control line in an instant , provided I'm healthy enough to not get dizzy going around in circles .
I hear you. I'm leaning toward parkies of late. Sailplanes are good too, don't generally need fixed facilities and are good in places where solitude can be found. Both offer an outlet for techie urges. I should reconsider FF too......get back to 'roots,' and there is boundless space E in the BLM expanses to accommodate the activity. In recent years I've mainly gone out there for high-power rocketry, but even that requires some liaison with FAA to be legit. FF model planes are free of that bother.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:56 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ah the good ole days of the free flight rubber band tissue paper models. I have a couple of old Guillows kits somewhere from my scout days i need to find in my parents garage...
Old 05-26-2016, 12:16 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
ah the good ole days of the free flight rubber band tissue paper models. I have a couple of old Guillows kits somewhere from my scout days i need to find in my parents garage...

I never saw a Guillows kit fly much better than a paper airplane. Wood might as well be ironwood, LOL.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:48 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I hear you. I'm leaning toward parkies of late. Sailplanes are good too, don't generally need fixed facilities and are good in places where solitude can be found. Both offer an outlet for techie urges. I should reconsider FF too......get back to 'roots,' and there is boundless space E in the BLM expanses to accommodate the activity. In recent years I've mainly gone out there for high-power rocketry, but even that requires some liaison with FAA to be legit. FF model planes are free of that bother.
Hi CJ ,

I would love to be there when the high power rockets were flown ! The biggest I ever successfully flew and got back was this "Renegade" that used a D sized engine . I still have also the "snapshot" which takes the film cartridge and that dangerous as Hell looking "Sky Writer" that looks like a pencil . Both of those take C sized engines and I flew the snapshot several times , I just never got around to developing the film and i'm not sure they even do that anymore . Of course I never once flew the Skywriter , that fine point on the end looking more like ammunition than a model rocket !

And yes , at present all we may have to do is give $5 every three years , so it hasn't gotten at all burdensome yet . But the toe is in the door , and someday the rest of the body will walk through the door as well . Likely won't be in my remaining lifetime , but I do expect the regulations to become more and more daunting as the years progress .
Old 05-26-2016, 12:55 PM
init4fun

I never saw a Guillows kit fly much better than a paper airplane. Wood might as well be ironwood, LOL.
And I gotta agree with Sport here , I always felt the wood supplied with Guillows was best suited to building the static display version rather than the flying version , especially when building for rubber power . When I built them for rubber I selected better lighter balsa and "Rekitted" the kit . When I built them for .020 or .049 glow I'd use most of the heavy wood the kit came with but I'd make my own firewall out of Sig's "Lite" brand thin plywood with better quality balsa for the fuselage stringers .
Old 05-26-2016, 01:21 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83

Do not quote me here, but I changed my AMA number to get a CD number (4-digits long). I can't tell you which documentation exactly has it, but I seem to recall my original number being referenced in AMA official paperwork. So I do not believe you actually Loose your original number unless you allow your membership to lapse for a very long time.

A call to the AMA membership department will dispel any doubts.

Rafael
Old 05-26-2016, 01:22 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

And I gotta agree with Sport here , I always felt the wood supplied with Guillows was best suited to building the static display version rather than the flying version , especially when building for rubber power . When I built them for rubber I selected better lighter balsa and "Rekitted" the kit . When I built them for .020 or .049 glow I'd use most of the heavy wood the kit came with but I'd make my own firewall out of Sig's "Lite" brand thin plywood with better quality balsa for the fuselage stringers .
So much for "FAA number as custom AMA number ?"....
Old 05-26-2016, 01:25 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Rafael23cc
Do not quote me here, but I changed my AMA number to get a CD number (4-digits long). I can't tell you which documentation exactly has it, but I seem to recall my original number being referenced in AMA official paperwork. So I do not believe you actually Loose your original number unless you allow your membership to lapse for a very long time.

Rafael

I've had a few opportunities to lower my AMA number (CD, etc.), but decided to keep my original unique number. I believe they may re-issue lower numbers so it makes sense they may keep track of someone's original number for historical/uniqueness purposes.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:38 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Rafael
Good question, I suspect the original number is out there somewhere. I know someone who managed to get his fathers original # after passing on, when he got his CD. It was real low number and obviously had sentimental value. I kept my original # when I got my CD...it's just a number.
Good questi
Old 05-26-2016, 01:41 PM
init4fun

Rafael
Very good Info Rafael , Thank You for that . To be honest I haven't decided , I just wanted to hear what others think of the idea . My 5 digit number would be great to have for both the FAA and AMA if that could ever come to pass , but if not this was an idea I had for making the numbers the same .(using the FAA number for both , that is)
Old 05-26-2016, 01:50 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok , I had a thought the other day , tell me if you think it's a good idea or not .

For those who don't really care what their AMA number is , since the AMA offers "custom" AMA numbers , and since we can't pick our FAA numbers , I have been considering giving up my old AMA number and switching that to be the same as my FAA number . This way , I could have something like ;

FAA/AMA XXXXXXXXX

Or perhaps

FAAXXXXXXXXAMA

on the plane to cover having both numbers . It was just an idea I had when I was thinking about LCS actually , if you remember he had the custom AMA number "TUFF 1" for his "Texas Unlimited Fun Flyers" club and that's what got me to thinking that since the AMA does give out custom numbers that would be a great way to have only one number on the plane .

GREAT IDEA !! Whose first in line to give it a try ?
Old 05-26-2016, 02:02 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Granpooba
GREAT IDEA !! Whose first in line to give it a try ?
I was thinking If I don't do it , maybe someone new to the AMA who already has a 6 (or more ?) digit number they don't care about might .

I just figured the one combined number would look good on the fuselage (or wing , whichever) rather than having the two different ones .

Just a passing thought is all ....
Old 05-26-2016, 02:12 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

FAA/AMA XXXXXXXXX

Or perhaps

FAAXXXXXXXXAMA

You are aware there's a $50 fee for a vanity AMA number, right?

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 05-26-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:41 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
You are aware there's a $50 fee for a vanity AMA number, right?
Think about it that when your time comes, just tell them to put $50.00 less in your coffin. Hell, its only $50.00 less that you will be taking with you.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:27 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Think about it that when your time comes, just tell them to put $50.00 less in your coffin. Hell, its only $50.00 less that you will be taking with you.
Hmm , Since I'd be sending them some money anyway , might be a good time to buy another Brick if that program is still going on ? I looked at the AMA site and searched "Brick" but came up empty , course that may be a failure on my end since my computer is older than most of my planes .
Old 05-27-2016, 05:46 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Hmm , Since I'd be sending them some money anyway , might be a good time to buy another Brick if that program is still going on ? I looked at the AMA site and searched "Brick" but came up empty , course that may be a failure on my end since my computer is older than most of my planes .
The buy a brick program is alive and well. It will be a while before the walk is full as it's quite large.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/brickad.aspx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.