Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Me 262 starter motor

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Me 262 starter motor

Old 04-28-2016, 05:48 AM
Jgwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me 262 starter motor

I know that this is full size but you may find it interesting.

All German WW2 turbine engines were started by the very small compact Riedel starter, a 2 stroke air-cooled twin cylinder engine sited in the bullet fairing of the intake of the jet. They made around 8000 of these little engines and they often ended up in museums and go carts.

The small petrol engine was started by either using the pull handle or by the 24v electric starter. This meant that the plane did not need a service vehicle to start the engine. The little engine uses case pressure to case pressure to push a piston backwards sending the dog clutch to engage with the front of the turbine shaft.

This is an amazing little engine and has many rolling surfaces with roller bearings. The electric starter motor for example has a simple ball race at the front but at the back there is small roller bearings and a very small epicyclic gearbox. The starter gear grabs onto the shaft by means of a one way sprag clutch. The flywheel has balls in galleries that are thrown out by centrifugal force and they exert force on the wet clutch to engage the rear gearbox which is also epicyclic.

Over a year ago now I managed to find a Me 262 starter motor from a motor bike dealer in the Netherlands. However it had many parts missing and it became obvious that it had been dropped early in its life and damaged and then robbed of parts. I spent many hours making the missing ignition system , the carburettor and the piston and dog clutch. I now have it all screwed together and have it running for the first time. The one good thing was the engine had hardly been run at all. There was no sign of wear in the bore of the one cylinder I took out. The bad part is that there is very high compression and it is quite a job to turn it over! I know nothing about 2 strokes and have learned a lot. Fortunately there is a Bernd Sobek who is the world expert in them and has several running who has helped me . Roger Emms also helped me with 2 stroke information and assist in getting it started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGUqV0dl9gA
John

Last edited by Jgwright; 04-28-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:25 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 732 Likes on 528 Posts

John

Excellent project involving a real piece of history

Dave
Old 04-28-2016, 08:50 AM
Jgwright

Thanks Dave

I really enjoyed this one.

As finished and as received

The carburettor in pieces as machined and assembled

The pressure piston assemble and dog clutch

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	original starter before work.jpg
Views:	2232
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	2159727   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2588 small.jpg
Views:	1795
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	2159728   Click image for larger version

Name:	carburettor all parts.jpg
Views:	1275
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	2159729   Click image for larger version

Name:	carburettor assembled.jpg
Views:	1343
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	2159730   Click image for larger version

Name:	piston small.jpg
Views:	1380
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	2159731  
Old 04-28-2016, 08:52 AM
Quandry

Fantastic project John, congratulations on getting it running. Very interesting mechanical design.

I went hunting on Youtube and found this video showing the original pull starter had quite the kick too!

https://youtu.be/oBH0ULVmsow?t=6m23s

Last edited by Quandry; 04-28-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:57 AM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That is extremely cool!
Now you just need a Jumo 004 to bolt it to.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:44 AM
JP-1

Received 422 Likes on 355 Posts

Hi John,

Very interesting project, thanks for posting

Alistair
Old 04-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by Quandry
Fantastic project John, congratulations on getting it running. Very interesting mechanical design.

I went hunting on Youtube and found this video showing the original pull starter had quite the kick too!
B
https://youtu.be/oBH0ULVmsow?t=6m23s
interesting bit of film. The engine shown was much more free than mine. This appears to confirm that mine did very little running. It sure gives you a workout!

John
Old 04-28-2016, 10:42 AM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by Kevin_W
That is extremely cool!
Now you just need a Jumo 004 to bolt it to.
yes it would be very interesting to see a Jumo running, there was a project to update one with modern materials but it seems to have ground to a halt. The engines are all in museums now and many are sectioned. I guess my wife really would object to having one in the back garden.

John
Old 04-28-2016, 11:14 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for posting that, it was cool, and I learned something too,,,,
Old 04-28-2016, 01:07 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 732 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Jgwright
interesting bit of film. The engine shown was much more free than mine. This appears to confirm that mine did very little running. It sure gives you a workout!

John
There is a few tonnes resisting the recoil over your work mate!

ne
Old 04-28-2016, 05:52 PM
DaveHickey

I wonder if the compression is so high because it ran on jet fuel not gasoline...
Old 04-28-2016, 06:30 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I've always wondered about these engines. What is the displacement?
Old 04-28-2016, 06:41 PM
Kevin_W

Originally Posted by Jgwright

John
John,
I was lucky enough to visit the factory in Ft Worth where they were (initially) building the replica ME-262's. They had several fuselages in various stages of completion, and several sets of wings still in the jigs. The engine mounts were the most interesting thing though. The wanted to keep the mounts as close to stock as possible, but the little GE turbofans they were using to power them are probably 1/4 the size of the original Jumo engines. Their solution was to cast large aluminum cases with the outer dimensions (and mounting points) of the Jumo 004, they were cast in two pieces like a clam shell, and bolted together around the GE engine. It had the added benefit of helping keep the CG manageable.
They also built replica cannons in the nose that were similar weight to the originals.
It was a very interesting visit.
Less than I year after my visit the project ran out of money and was shut down for quite a while. It eventually was moved to Washington state, and I think they completed four flyable airplanes.
I think I have some pictures scanned into photobucket. I will look for them later and post if I can find them.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:41 PM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by DaveHickey
I wonder if the compression is so high because it ran on jet fuel not gasoline...
The Ridel starter ran on standard petrol (gasoline). It has a separate fuel tank in the nose of the engine.

John
Old 04-28-2016, 11:55 PM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by causeitflies
I've always wondered about these engines. What is the displacement?
The engine has a bore of 70mm and a stroke of only 35mm total volume 270cc. The engine runs at 7,000 rpm with a full jet only so it reaches max rpm as quickly as possible. The engine has covers over the finned cylinders and these are used to try and deflect the cooling air from the front mounted fan around the fins to keep them cool. The engine was fully tested in 1945 by RAE Farnborough and that 27 page report is still available They found the engine produced up to 9 BHP. The cooling was not good and the little engine was only to be used for a max of 4 minutes. Power dropped off quickly was it became hot.

John
Old 04-28-2016, 11:58 PM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by Kevin_W
John,
I was lucky enough to visit the factory in Ft Worth where they were (initially) building the replica ME-262's. They had several fuselages in various stages of completion, and several sets of wings still in the jigs. The engine mounts were the most interesting thing though. The wanted to keep the mounts as close to stock as possible, but the little GE turbofans they were using to power them are probably 1/4 the size of the original Jumo engines. Their solution was to cast large aluminum cases with the outer dimensions (and mounting points) of the Jumo 004, they were cast in two pieces like a clam shell, and bolted together around the GE engine. It had the added benefit of helping keep the CG manageable.
They also built replica cannons in the nose that were similar weight to the originals.
It was a very interesting visit.
Less than I year after my visit the project ran out of money and was shut down for quite a while. It eventually was moved to Washington state, and I think they completed four flyable airplanes.
I think I have some pictures scanned into photobucket. I will look for them later and post if I can find them.
Kevin

This was a great project, and I followed progress over the years with its ups and downs. One of these days I hope I may have the chance to see the one sold to Germany at a flying display.

John
Old 04-29-2016, 01:33 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Very cool... in this video at 16:00 shows this engine in the original 262 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nNdDkyiANo
Old 04-29-2016, 02:14 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Superb achievement, John, well done, would love to see it sometime !!

Fuel situation :

The 004B-1 produced a thrust of 2,000 lbf (8.90 kN) and ran primarily on diesel fuel. Gasoline was used for the two-stroke starter motor and for starting the turbojet. A combination of gasoline and diesel was used after starting and then to all diesel fuel.[SUP]6[/SUP]

However, Eric Brown records it also ran on 87 Oct petrol with 5 % oil mixed in.

David.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:43 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

That's an excellent piece of work John, and lots of interesting history. I love the idea of pull-starting a jet engine. Something to look for next time I am at a museum that has a 262, see if it has the ring pull at the front of the cone.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:32 AM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by HarryC
That's an excellent piece of work John, and lots of interesting history. I love the idea of pull-starting a jet engine. Something to look for next time I am at a museum that has a 262, see if it has the ring pull at the front of the cone.
Thanks Harry

The starter was also used for the He162 to start the BMW turbine. The pull starter makes a lot of sense because it was always possible that it would fail to start on the electric starter. Robert Riedel the designer even thought of building in a slip clutch on the Electric motor to avoid it being overloaded, but this has to be correctly set up. The pilot could start the engine from the cockpit using the electric starter. I did read one report when 3 planes were scrambled and only one was able to get the engines started.

John
Old 04-29-2016, 08:03 AM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really neat!!! Wonder what model it would fly? Great job John!!!!
Old 04-29-2016, 08:46 AM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by dw_crash
Really neat!!! Wonder what model it would fly? Great job John!!!!
Dave

Interesting question. I found a while ago that Ken Wallis, who has only recently died, adapted one to power a Slingsby Petrel glider and it seems that it made 10 flights or so. Here is a photo of it mounted on the glider. Ken Wallis was the guy who was famous for autogyros and made the Little Nellie for the James Bond film. The flights were made in 1949.

http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/VINTAG.../Powered_2.png

There was also also a glider in Poland powered by a 4 cylinder engine made from 2 Riedel starter engines joined together.

John

John
Old 04-29-2016, 09:20 AM
Kevin_W

Here are the pics from my visit to the 262 project.
This was in 1997 so didn't have a digital camera. These are all scanned from film prints, and the lighting was very poor, so please forgive the quality.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:22 AM
Kevin_W

Last edited by Kevin_W; 04-29-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:25 AM
Kevin_W

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.