Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top-Flite 1/5th F4U Corsair ARF Group Build and modification thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top-Flite 1/5th F4U Corsair ARF Group Build and modification thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 08:27 PM
MRadu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top-Flite 1/5th F4U Corsair ARF Group Build and modification thread

Cole,

When are you going to start on your Corsair? I'll make double parts for you and I. That is if you are starting soon. I want to take this Corsair to Castle Airport in May. This is an I.M.A.A. event in Atwater California.
I'm also working on my Composite ARF Corsair and plan on having it for display at the same event!

Thanks for you support,

Michael
Old 03-17-2013, 01:02 PM
colesifer3d314
My Feedback: (9)

Ill be on it here soon..i have some other loose ends on the bench to finish up and get out of the way before i get the corsair out..it is next on my agenda though however..your work is great..cant say enough about how well the model looks.

Ide sure appreciate the help on the parts Michael..it will make the build go much easier. its sure taking alot of self control to keep it in the box!

We will be comming to the Chino fly in, in June? i think..I definetly wont have mine for that lol.

Cole
Old 03-17-2013, 02:16 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr. MRadu

I use the term MR. becouse you are a master builder. When I started my first Corsair I was looking for a lot of help as it was my first adventure in stand off scale, and my success has only come about with the help of others hear on RCU. As for the speed of my bird have nexer tried to clock it, it will do all of the aerobatic the real bird will do but I don't have the virtical just enough to do realy nice big loops and not fall out on top.

Cheers Bob T
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36838.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	1863159  
Old 03-19-2013, 03:01 PM
MRadu

Hello Bob,

You are more of a master than I. Thanks, I was referring to the time you completed you Corsair. I'm beginning to evaluate features in light of time to get this bird flying.

Michael
Old 03-19-2013, 03:04 PM
MRadu

Warbird Man,

I have made a new build thread of my own. So as to document my entire building process and ask questions. It is called
Corsair F4U-1A Top Flite Giant ARF Modifications. I'll still watch and comment on modifications. I hope you are recovering well and you can get back to build / flying soon.

Michael
Old 03-25-2013, 08:06 PM
bonanzadrv
My Feedback: (21)

I am working on the stock dummy engine...
How did you guys drill the holes for the pushrod tubes???
And then did you just expoy them in??
Mine are just long enough (if the go where I think they do)

Thanks Bill
Old 03-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Thanks Michael,
I am back workin on it. I'm doing the tri color scheme as well so Iv'e been busy getting all the parts painted prior to final assembly.

Bonanzadrv-
I carefully drilled my holes with a flex dremel starting with a sm bit and working up to size. Be careful as it's easy to "rip" the thin plastic. I just gobbed on some siliconized latex caulk on the back side to hold them in. The stuff stays flexable and will resist vibration better than epoxy. But I'm sure some 30 min will work if thats all you have. The rods go under the rocker housings and into the crank case in front of the cylinders. It's much easier to do this before you glue the dummy engine into the cowl. I also had a few extra left over and cut them down to small pieces to use as spark plugs and used black wire for plug wires.

Name:	Ca80250.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1867043  
Old 03-26-2013, 08:21 PM
MRadu

Warbird Man,

Glad to see you're back up and running! Nice job on the dummy engine.

I'm about to work on my dummy engine as well. I to use a dremel. As for gluing I'm sure the siliconized latex is similar to what I use, as you are correct about holding up to vibration. It is a must in areas like the cowl and the cockpit. I use a product called "Household Goop" You can find it in the hardware store and in some grocery stores. I use it to hold my pilots together and in their seats. In the cowl and to attach the canopy. It simply holds through all kinds of vibrations. Also when you have excess coming out you can let dry for a couple of minutes and roll it away with a rub of your fingers. It's like rubber cement. It is also clear and dries clear!

I might use a more scale dummy engine if I have one on the shelf. However, I really like the fact that the Top Flite as the two filter cans on top (if that is what those are) of the crank case. These are scale and most dummy engines don't have them.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:59 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MRadu

Warbird Man,

Glad to see you're back up and running! Nice job on the dummy engine.

I'm about to work on my dummy engine as well. I to use a dremel. As for gluing I'm sure the siliconized latex is similar to what I use, as you are correct about holding up to vibration. It is a must in areas like the cowl and the cockpit. I use a product called ''Household Goop'' You can find it in the hardware store and in some grocery stores. I use it to hold my pilots together and in their seats. In the cowl and to attach the canopy. It simply holds through all kinds of vibrations. Also when you have excess coming out you can let dry for a couple of minutes and roll it away with a rub of your fingers. It's like rubber cement. It is also clear and dries clear!

I might use a more scale dummy engine if I have one on the shelf. However, I really like the fact that the Top Flite as the two filter cans on top (if that is what those are) of the crank case. These are scale and most dummy engines don't have them.

Zap also makes a "goop" glue, which is what I used.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Warbird Man

The dummy engine Top-Flite supplies is'nt even close to a Pratt & Whitney R-2800. The "filter cans" on top of the engine are supposed to be the magnetos. Here's a pic of a real one for reference.

Name:	Db85529.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1867249  
Old 04-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Warbird Man

Ok, I finally got this beast on its feet for the first time. Had to shim one side of the horizontal stab slightly to get it level with the wings. I also glued and bolted it in place.

Ok, having pic upload problems again [:@] Anyone still having this "500-internal server error" BS popping up?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Warbird Man

Thought I'd try some pics again but no deal.[] I couldn't even access my forums earlier.[&o]
Old 04-08-2013, 06:11 PM
rt3232

Hi Guys

I had trouble earlier could not get on site but have not tried to up load a pic.

will try to read the last few post as just got home from Toledo long trip

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Warbird Man

Well I still can't post any pics so I'll post a few thoughts about this ARF.

It's kinda strange how Top-Flite markets this one. Although I think it should have been available as an ARC, I find it abit strange in that the ARF comes covered in flat insignia blue Monokote when it should be glossy. ( depicting glossy sea blue even though the color isn't correct but I understand the limitations in covering color) Representing itself as a late WWII F4U-1D, but the supplied decals are for Ira's tri color F4U-1A. And although I have great respect for Ira Kepford, Top-Flite / Great Planes has pretty much beat that scheme to death with all the other size corsairs they make. And whats with Dave Andersons signature in the decal set instead of Ira's ???

Well that's my 2 cents for the day

Old 04-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Warbird Man

Sorry for my last post. I just recently had to quit drinking coffee.[&:][&:]

I see the web site is back online. Tried to upload a photo. It went through but it didn't come out.

Name:	Fd91024.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1870445  
Old 04-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Warbird Man

Still not working.

As of 4/12/13: Hey it's working again!!!! I now see my pics

Name:	Tr49525.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1870661  
Old 04-11-2013, 06:10 PM
rt3232

To the mod's or who ever is running the show WHY AM I STILL GETTING ''502 bad GATEWAY'' message when I try to open a picture

Bob T
Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: rt3232

To the mod's or who ever is running the show WHY AM I STILL GETTING ''502 bad GATEWAY'' message when I try to open a picture

Bob T
You're not the only one Bob, nobody can view pictures currently. It's a problem with the site which is supposedly being worked on.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Warbird Man

I think it's working now.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Warbird Man

After spending about three nights rigging up an articulating tail wheel gear door mechanism that made the doors splay out in a scale like manner, I found the air cylinder in the tail retract wasn't strong enough to lift the wheel and close the doors all the way with all the springs and linkage I made up. So I said the heck with all that nonsense and removed it all and cut off the doors all together. Maybe an electric unit may have worked, But I figure it's just gonna end up being trouble later anyway.

As was mentioned earlier, the stock foam tail wheel supplied wont hold up to the weight of the model and went flat after just 2 days of sitting on the bench. So I replaced it with a solid rubber wheel.

Name:	Hf99255.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1871104  
Old 04-12-2013, 11:24 PM
rt3232

Warbird man

Also the stock robart T/W strut does not extend eough so I added a 5/8 long bushing and that helps get the tail op more reallisticly.

But there several fellows that are building there ownT/W retract unit and it mounts to the stock blkd the fellow in wasington state as I recall will fwd you a set oy plans to build your own, my bird was finished and flowen befor he made the plans.

Hope this helps

Cheers bobT

Old 04-13-2013, 05:55 AM
Warbird Man

Thanks RT, I already modified the stock tail unit to lengthen the strut. See post 58 & 245. Works out pretty good.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:00 AM
MRadu

Warbird Man,

Your tail wheel looks very clean and solid. My tail hook is not as strong as yours. I'll have to figure a way to sure mine up. I'm using servos for the retract wheel and the tail hook. I plan to make mounts for the tail doors t the tail wheel.

After all the trouble I have been going through I should have done what you have been doing. Yours is so clean it makes me want to buy another and forget all this fiber glassing! :-)

Glad RCU is working again.

Thanks for posting. I look forward to your post and progress.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Warbird Man

Thanks Michael.

My tail hook is just made outta brass tubing with a lever soldered in. It operates with the tail unit.

Full scale tail wheel doors were piano hinged. This allowed them to splay out when opened. The way the arf has the hinge setup won't allow this to work.
The doors on a full scale were connected to the tail gear unit, but the linkage articulated when operating and closing. Ball links will probably work enough to allow this movement.

Ya came this far, might as well finish it. Your doing awesome work.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:02 AM
MRadu

Warbird Man,

I was looking closely at the photo in your last post, the front of your Corsair. Did I see that your main wheel doors have scale hinges? Did you make the modification from the kit?

I'm still undecided about how I should do mine? Also I have the Robart hings just sitting on the shelf.

Also thank you for the encouragement on my build. I just needed a break and your boost, I'm back working on her today!

Thanks,

Michael

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.