Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Spektrum iX20..thoughts ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Spektrum iX20..thoughts ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 08:05 AM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default New Spektrum iX20..thoughts ?

I noticed the new Spektrum iX20 is up on Horizon's site-
I know the iX12 got mixed reviews, but am curious to know what opinions are on this new model.
PS-I fly JR, so no dog in the fight, just curious. Does look like they have addressed some of the concerns that guys had on the iX12, like boot time for example.
-Mike O.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:53 AM
Gary Szetlak
My Feedback: (13)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ix20

Disappointing is the only word needed to describe it. I've been looking forward to a new offering from Spektrum but this gives the same appearance of a toy like the rest of the IX line, they even dumped the machined aluminum gimbals that were on the DX20, and still want $1400 (with no receiver) I love my DX18 but I guess it's time to try brand other than Spektrum
Gary
Old 10-31-2019, 11:03 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I keep hoping spektrum will come out with something that I like. I have all JR equipment and still love my 12X's but the day will come that I need to replace them inevitably. I really have zero desire to leave the DSM2 / DSMX modulation though as I would have to replace a boatload of receivers. I've never seen a DX20 in person, the DX18's just feel toyish and the gimbals are not anywhere near the smoothness of the 12X. The DX20 was something I was looking at but it was discontinued awfully fast. The IX12 looked interesting but I read too many negative comments about it to want to jump on the train too early. I honestly don't need or want the telemetry stuff, the idea of a windows based operating system doesn't sit well with me really. The 12X still has more processing power than I'll ever use, I just wish there was something out there with the feel and user friendliness of the 12X. Granted everything would be a learning curve but i get headaches just reading about Jeti and trying to understand it. I am computer stupid, I need more point and click type stuff.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:19 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

The interface is way faster than the iX12 which was one of the big gripes.

Felt pretty good in my hands but I didn't get to fly it.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:36 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am a KISS guy, that's why I keep my trusty DX 18 over any other brand.

hmarmaizmd717
Old 11-01-2019, 02:17 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Got two dx18 the qq and Stelth and my next one will be the new ix20 that’s it , changing to other systems will cost me small fortune so spectrum is my only choice, and I think this is the most users friendly stuff with most people using it so there lots of help if needed
Old 11-01-2019, 09:04 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Szetlak
Disappointing is the only word needed to describe it. I've been looking forward to a new offering from Spektrum but this gives the same appearance of a toy like the rest of the IX line, they even dumped the machined aluminum gimbals that were on the DX20, and still want $1400 (with no receiver) I love my DX18 but I guess it's time to try brand other than Spektrum
Gary
kind of same boat, although I have not lost a single aircraft on spektrum since the dx7 has come out, not even a hold. And I've done everything frome quad racing to thermal duration/ thermal competition, and giant scale aerobatics, edf and turbine jets. Hard to let go of what works. Currently have a dx18 and ix12. Ix12 has had to earn my trust due to recent reviews/ experiences of others, but other than booting slow and responding to programming inputs at less than lightning speed, it's been flawless also.
I'll probably never go futaba due to past personal experience, but jrpropo and the powerbox Core have sparked my interest recently.
Gotta say though, the 12310T receiver has features no one can compete with. Makes it hard to give up as well.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:23 AM
Gary Szetlak
My Feedback: (13)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree I first started with the dx7 and progressed through to the dx18, I am currently at a standstill with my current project because receivers have been on backorder and the delivery dates have been pushed back again now to January. I would much rather stay with the DX18 but I question what is going on at Spektrum. They've announced the ix20 but do not even have a 9ch (let alone a 12 or 20) to sell with it.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:47 AM
bodywerks

I got word that it's not a technology or foreign trade issue. They ran out of a specific chip, and their notable supplier was behind on production, and they will not switch suppliers for obvious reasons.
you'd be best off looking on Ebay or rc groups. I have seen two on Ebay and 5 on groups in just the past week.

Last edited by bodywerks; 11-02-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:49 AM
jetguy34695

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am now converting all my jet the the Powerbox Core all i can say is WOW 26 4096 bit resolution fully proportional channels telemetry in real time great touch screen that is readable in full sun light better the cell phone displays easy programming a must see
Old 11-02-2019, 01:22 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jetguy34695
I am now converting all my jet the the Powerbox Core all i can say is WOW 26 4096 bit resolution fully proportional channels telemetry in real time great touch screen that is readable in full sun light better the cell phone displays easy programming a must see
And almost twice the cost, not to mention the utterly overpriced receivers that would cost less than a car to replace them all?
Old 11-02-2019, 01:39 PM
jetguy34695

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't think $89 for a 26 channel receiver is over priced for the piece of mind when flying a $10,000 + Jet i guess spectrum works for some people and foamies but there are many choices when picking your equipment from price quality and user preferences i don't what this to turn into a my transmitter is better then yours. I have not posted anything on RCU in a long time because it seems like every post becomes a pissing contest and to me changing out the receivers in all my planes would cost me a lot less then loosing one plane.

By the way each Powerbox Core receiver is actually 2 receivers in one
Old 11-02-2019, 02:51 PM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jetguy34695
i don't think $89 for a 26 channel receiver is over priced
That's not exactly a true statement - the $89 PBR-26D has no servo outputs and is designed to be used with a PB power supply system, so add hundreds more to the total cost per installation.
https://powerbox-americas.com/collec...4161856#tabs-4

I did consider switching to Powerbox because their products are great and cost is a non-issue for me. However, I've had many years of reliable Spektrum use so I will be trying the iX20.

Last edited by sc0tt; 11-02-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:23 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by sc0tt
That's not exactly a true statement - the $89 PBR-26D has no servo outputs and is designed to be used with a PB power supply system, so add hundreds more to the total cost per installation.
https://powerbox-americas.com/collec...4161856#tabs-4

I did consider switching to Powerbox because their products are great and cost is a non-issue for me. However, I've had many years of reliable Spektrum use so I will be trying the iX20.
yep, very true. You get telemetry, servo ganging and other programming features, gyro capability, true power redundancy, and antenna signal diversity all built into one unit for under $200(and the gyro for under$100) all in one package. Definitely hard to beat.
But at least powerbox also offers its own accessories to accommodate the same(albeit at a significantly higher cost). Futaba has yet to come ot with anything to suit advanced users. Heck, XPS, had to step up and offer signal diversity for them As well as data logging. Still no gyro system tho...
Old 11-03-2019, 07:05 AM
Smokeyr67

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

My thoughts?

I think it’s impossible to start a radio thread without another brands fan boy taking it off on a tangent.

Im not a Spektrum fan (I do have a DX 9 for BNF stuff), and I won’t be buying an iX 20, but it does deserve its own thread without any brandist bull****e.

On topic (ish) will Spektrum produce something akin to Power box and Jeti ecosystems or remain primarily a producer of tx and rx’s?
Old 11-05-2019, 12:50 PM
Westwindpilot86

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m more curious how many recalls and updates it will need before it gets the bugs out.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:56 AM
Spencer K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I’m hoping not too many as they used the ix12 as a beta tester. I ordered one so I’ll let know stevey😎
Old 11-06-2019, 10:20 AM
Westwindpilot86

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to get one too Spencer. But I want to have a few beta testers get the bugs worked out. Thanks for volunteering.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:30 PM
Spencer K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Okie dokie👍
Old 11-18-2019, 11:58 AM
andy boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh well, being a Futaba fanboy, I currently have the 16SZ was thinking the 32MZ! I BTW, absolutely love the bells and whistles and was disappointed to find out No WiFi, only 18CH must use multiprop somthing or other?? to get the 32 CH and @ half resolution! limited voice and took away the camera that was on the 18MZ. a few other things but for me these are things that I want. So I've ordered the iX20 from Local Hobby shop. Can't wait... ��
Old 11-18-2019, 07:05 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Westwindpilot86
I would love to get one too Spencer. But I want to have a few beta testers get the bugs worked out. Thanks for volunteering.
You're not the only one.....
Old 11-18-2019, 07:21 PM
sysiek

The main problem with the radio is that even if you get one there absolutely no 20 channel rx for them until next year or maybe more waiting what is going on with Spektrum ??? I’m getting the radio and hopefully they will fix the biggest bug to have the 20 ch rx in stock for everyone !!!!!!
Old 11-19-2019, 01:51 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

I would call a month and a half vs “next year” a big difference in the way it sounds. They changed assembly plants. They’ll be out soon enough. I have a jet waiting for one too but with the holidays, cold, etc, it won’t be very long.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:53 PM
sysiek

So I just got my ix20 and planning to play with it for little bit and transfer my models from my qq dx18 will post my observations
Old 11-21-2019, 04:26 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Sebastian, in all fairness, you are completely right. The receiver debacle is ridiculous. RUMOR has it that they’ve adjusted suppliers due to the tariffs by having one vendor make the products in China, then have them assembled in Vietnam to be shipped to the US. I’m sure, if this or something similar is going on, there will be major hiccups. Maybe it’s just some possible chip supply issues. Who knows?!? They certainly are tight lipped about it. This is the SECOND major marketing SNAFU by Spektrum. Remember when they discontinued the DX20 with nothing to replace it for over a year? I’ve also noticed in the last few weeks that the PowerSafe 9 channel receiver has been discontinued too. Maybe because it was too similar in footprint to the 12 channel and they felt it was redundant.

I’ve also been following the CORE launch closely but eventually settled on my ix20. I noticed they are short of receivers above 9 channels without adding equipment or going to one of the much larger and more expensive PowerBox items. I wonder if the 12-16 channel units need were just underestimated by the radio providers?

I sure hope that they’re learning from this and won’t let it happen again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.