Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pilot-rc PREDATOR 2.2m Sport jet / full composite

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pilot-rc PREDATOR 2.2m Sport jet / full composite

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 07:51 AM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcflyguy_26
He said he ordered a Viper... not a Predator.
If you read the rest of his post, he mentioned the predator and mentions that he wasn’t sure what came with the predator. That’s why I started my post saying that he was not clear in what he was asking.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:34 PM
Parrot Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, yes I ordered a viper, I mentioned the predator as I imagine they have the same stuff included. I don’t mean the tail pipe. I mean intake ducting - normally made of fibreglass, smooth tubes delivering air from the intakes to the front of the turbine.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:08 PM
dccatl
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Unboxing

After about 9 weeks my Predator finally arrived. According to Tony this is a new version of the fuselage mold: taller rudder and different (shallower I think) curve behind the canopy, also has two piece fuselage with the vertical stab molded in. Plane was packed very well and no apparent damage to any of the pieces. Here's some pics of the unboxing:

Old 08-28-2018, 10:28 PM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice!
Glad to see that fuselage comes now in 2 pieces, thus reducing considerably volume of the carrying and box and consequently reduces shipping costs substantially. +1
Old 08-30-2018, 08:32 AM
lfierro1

It sucks i ordered mine from chief, I wish I knew I could have ordered direct from pilot. Chief told me november or december but I aint holding my breath
Old 09-09-2018, 07:38 PM
nigefay

Mine has finally shipped! Putting a Evo 160 in it, should be fun.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:40 PM
lfierro1

I must apologise to chief, it appears mine is ready to ship also
Old 09-11-2018, 03:01 AM
raddrilene

Default CG

Hello.
I have Predator 2.2 from beginning of August (installed Jets Munt XBL140). It flies well but I'm still trying to have it better...
On my maiden flight I've settled CG using supplied jig. Flight was good but, as all the other owners, I had to trim up quite a lot (about 3-4mm). To improve that situation I tried to move turbine's battery back (180g), from nose to front of tank: real bad effect!!!!!
With that new CG, around 4-5mm moved back from original position, Predator was flying really "sitting" (tail down attitude) and during landing it was unstable, floating, typical close to stall condition.
So now I'm back to factory CG position with up trim.

Has anyone tried to move back CG from factory position? Has anyone managed to have horizontal trim at 0?
Could be possible that CG position is perfect as for factory and reason for needed trim is due to a slightly wrong horizontal pitch from mould?

Thank you very much in advance for sharing your experience.

Best regards
Paolo

Last edited by raddrilene; 09-11-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:06 PM
nigefay

Interesting Paolo, I will be playing with mine once it arrives.
A lot of people have commented on the cg being forward but I’ve not heard anyone reporting how it flies after they have moved it back.
Hopefully a few more of us will be getting our Predators in the air and then we may get some more feedback.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:24 PM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nigefay
Interesting Paolo, I will be playing with mine once it arrives.
A lot of people have commented on the cg being forward but I’ve not heard anyone reporting how it flies after they have moved it back.
Hopefully a few more of us will be getting our Predators in the air and then we may get some more feedback.
Would be great to get some more flight reports on this model..
Old 09-14-2018, 05:40 PM
DHC6

I have mine set at the recommended CG and love the way it flies. Yes, it’s slightly nose heavy (really ever so slight. I have no problems scraping the tail on landing) and there is a few MM of up elevator at the neutral position, but it flies very well for me at least. So I will probably leave it there for now.

Inverted it needs some down to stay level, but not a huge amount, and on inverted uplines it needs some down as well to keep th nose from dropping. It’s very manageable, and after some flights I am use to it now and it’s not an issue for me. Stall characteristics are very tame, and it will get pretty slow, especially with full flaps. The nose simply drops gently and it has no bad habits. It’s far more intimidating to look at then to fly. It’s very stable and flies like it’s on rails, and goes where it’s pointed. My only complaint (which seems to be addressed with the updated version) is that I find the rudder surface could have been a little larger to make knife edge flight a little easier and slower. As it is now, you need a lot of rudder and speed to get a nice knife edge, but again for me at least that’s minor and really it still knife edges very well with minimal coupling.

Mine is power by a Cheetah 140 and it’s plenty, it will even hover after I have burnt some fuel off. I have the new Cheetah 160 wich I will be putting in over the winter, that should spice things up a little. My season is winding down so I just want to fly it and will do the swap over the winter.

It’s a great plane, I love mine, best plane for the money in my opinion.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:04 PM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Really good feedback there DHC6. It sounds like you are pretty happy with the aircraft overall.
It seems that Pilot have been quite proactive in fixing some of the known issues such as the undersized rudder. This has to be a good thing.
I think I will order one and see how it goes.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:49 AM
raddrilene

Thank you very much guys!
I’ll keep my elevator’s trim up and factory’s CG.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:18 AM
nigefay

Great feedback thanks DHC6, looking forward to getting mine even more now!
Old 09-16-2018, 12:29 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DHC6
My only complaint (which seems to be addressed with the updated version) is that I find the rudder surface could have been a little larger to make knife edge flight a little easier and slower. As it is now, you need a lot of rudder and speed to get a nice knife edge, but again for me at least that’s minor and really it still knife edges very well with minimal coupling.
What you are describing is a typical nose heavy attitude which would give you these symptoms during knife edge maneuver. Moving CG back just a little at a time would surely help improve the handling.. However it might also be necessary to enlarge rudder for ultimate performance.

Just my 2 cents
Old 09-16-2018, 04:18 AM
dccatl

I got my maiden done yesterday plus 2 additional flights. All flights went fine without any issues. I balanced using the factory wire tool with the plane just starting to tip tail heavy on the rig, that is, when I lifted the plane by the wires it would initially hang level and then after a second or so would slowly tip toward the tail. This was done with a full UAT and about 1" of fuel in the main tank, smoke tank and pump installed but not plumbed or connected yet. Engine is a K210. Plane needed minimal up trim probably about 1mm at neutral. Inverted 45 degree up-line required some down as DHC6 reports. Knife edge performance seems perfect with no coupling and moderate speed and rudder. My stall experience was a little more abrupt than DHC6 reports but I also have about 7-8mm of crow with my flaps, this is my first "larger" jet and I was a little apprehensive with my throttle due to the large engine so I didn't recognize exactly when I got too slow, but all testing was done at a sufficient altitude to allow recovery so no problems in the end. Obviously the K210 is plenty of thrust for this plane, but I was conscious of the extra power and never opened it up, max speed for the day was about 160 mph, I'll further explore it's performance in later flights. Landings were fine, residual thrust is not an issue, it is able to slow sufficiently and flare to give nose up "wheelie" touchdowns with a little elevator management. Overall, I'm pleased with the aircraft, I think I'll keep the C/G as is and I look forward to more flights to get used to how it flies.

I'll report back next week after some more flights, hopefully with some photos and videos as well.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:46 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Just placed my order. They said 60 days so hopefully I get it between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Will be putting in a K210 with Thrust Vectoring. Keep the reports coming.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:28 PM
dccatl

Originally Posted by why_fly_high
Just placed my order. They said 60 days so hopefully I get it between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Will be putting in a K210 with Thrust Vectoring. Keep the reports coming.
I think you'll enjoy it. Got one more flight today - getting used to the power available with the 210, definitely very manageable. I did one full throttle pass over the runway but didn't go full throttle until about over the threshold and then I pulled vertical, max speed on that pass was only 179 (GPS), obviously vertical is virtually unlimited but the 210 is not overkill at all. Here's a runway shot. By the way, knife edges are very good, no coupling and doesn't need too much throttle or rudder.

Last edited by dccatl; 09-21-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:29 PM
Desert Fox 1

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

Nice Job dccatl!

Cheers!
Desert Fox 1
Old 10-06-2018, 06:44 PM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I have seen the words vectored thrust mentioned on this forum and on the Pilot website. However i never actually see the pipe nor is it mentioned as an available part. Where are people acquiring the vectored thrust pipes?
Thanks.
Tone
Old 10-07-2018, 04:12 AM
dccatl

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
I have seen the words vectored thrust mentioned on this forum and on the Pilot website. However i never actually see the pipe nor is it mentioned as an available part. Where are people acquiring the vectored thrust pipes?
Thanks.
Tone
You can purchase the vector pipe directly from Pilot, just e-mail Tony from their web-site. I've seen one in person on a Predator and am considering adding one to mine - pretty much just a standard vector pipe, bolts to the last former in the fuselage with servos mounted about half-way down the pipe length in the fuselage.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:36 AM
Agrav8ed

Originally Posted by dccatl
You can purchase the vector pipe directly from Pilot, just e-mail Tony from their web-site. I've seen one in person on a Predator and am considering adding one to mine - pretty much just a standard vector pipe, bolts to the last former in the fuselage with servos mounted about half-way down the pipe length in the fuselage.
Thanks for the input. I am considering getting this jet as my first turbine so I am hunting down all of the specifics. It has alot of good features and the construction seems pretty solid. The wheels look pretty small though. Can someone post the size of the wheels? I am wondering if this jet will work on a grass field.
Thanks,
Tone
Old 10-08-2018, 05:10 AM
dccatl

Thanks for the input. I am considering getting this jet as my first turbine so I am hunting down all of the specifics. It has alot of good features and the construction seems pretty solid. The wheels look pretty small though. Can someone post the size of the wheels? I am wondering if this jet will work on a grass field.
Thanks,
Tone
Wheels are 72 mm I believe, I've never flown mine from grass so I can't speak directly to that. However, I've noticed it is somewhat difficult to push on the grass adjacent to the paved runway I fly from, but I think it might be OK with some up elevator initially to get moving.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:45 AM
DHC6

Thanks,
Tone
Not sure of the tire size, but it flies just fine off if grass. I have only flown mine off of grass this season, intact it makes for very nice smooth landings. Grass is a bit more forgiving then pavement, sometimes I don’t even need to use the brakes.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:04 PM
Agrav8ed

Originally Posted by dccatl
Wheels are 72 mm I believe, I've never flown mine from grass so I can't speak directly to that. However, I've noticed it is somewhat difficult to push on the grass adjacent to the paved runway I fly from, but I think it might be OK with some up elevator initially to get moving.
Originally Posted by DHC6

Not sure of the tire size, but it flies just fine off if grass. I have only flown mine off of grass this season, intact it makes for very nice smooth landings. Grass is a bit more forgiving then pavement, sometimes I don’t even need to use the brakes.
Thank you gentleman. Am I the only one who thinks that the wheels look fairly small for this size jet?
Thanks,
Tone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.