Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pilot-rc PREDATOR 2.2m Sport jet / full composite

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pilot-rc PREDATOR 2.2m Sport jet / full composite

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 07:00 AM
horsefeetky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m sure it will work fine
Old 05-06-2018, 07:08 AM
alfawaz

Sounds good really appreciate the input and answering my questions. I think I will get to it and hopefully report back soon.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:31 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

HSD Super Viper turbine with a K-70..... or a Boomerang Nano, Sprint, or XL would also do the job. You will be quite safe with those choices and move directly into the turbine jet world...
Hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:40 PM
alfawaz

So I have been researching in the past couple of days. And after talking to the two jet pilots at my club who could sign a waiver for me. They both think that I would be capable enough to fly a turbine giving the fact that I have flown fast enough high wing loading airplanes and it shouldn't be an issue for me. Nonetheless I will buy an EDF and practice some more on it before I put my a jet in the air. Yet I still need them to help me with building mine and showing me the ins and outs of putting one together.
On the other hand, I would like to ask if any of you have flown the predator with a 140? Would it be good enough ? we have a 500ft mat runway (no grass) the roll offs have a fence on one side and a slight hump on the other with about extra 60 feet of grass. Would a 140 in the predator be enough for take offs?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:42 PM
alfawaz

Originally Posted by Fireflynightshift
Chrisansilver,

With the K140 at high idle she starts moving forward without even opening the throttle. I take off at half throttle with the K140. Try a smaller turbine in it first. If you going to do the 3D jet thing then by all means or stick to the grass then you will be fine. It will be a rocket. I am thinking of fitting a 16KG to do 3D, will keep you posted.

Enjoy and I wish you many happy flights with the Predator.

Have a great day

Regards
JB

Do you have any videos?
Old 05-08-2018, 09:00 PM
alfawaz

Also does the kit WITHOUT the servos come with wing bags and fuselage bag?
Old 05-19-2018, 12:56 AM
Pilot-RC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alfawaz
Also does the kit WITHOUT the servos come with wing bags and fuselage bag?
Only turbine ready version comes with the wing bag. fuselage bag sell separately.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:14 AM
RC Larry-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Just a follow up on my Predator experience this past weekend. While attending the First in Flight Jet rally in NC I was able to get in the maiden flight on my mine. Power is a Jet Central Cheetah SE (160) which proved to be more than enough power to perform all the vertical maneuvers you'd want to do. Aside from a few clicks of up elevator trim, the plane literally flew from the bench! Very stable and really groves along well. Construction on this plane is absolutely AMAZING. Parts fit is exceptional and the materials are high quality. All of the included gear, tank, pre-installed pipe and controllers worked flawlessly. And,,,,the included servo leads are high quality as well. Add to that, they are all pre-made to the exact length needed to go from the servo to the receiver area! Unlike most models from the past, I used ALL of the included hardware as it was ALL good stuff. Even the fuel fill cap was a neat item as it has a magnetic seat to hold the plug in place. Several guys wanted to know where I got it so they could get one for their jets.
In a previous post one of the guys stated assembly and breakdown goes really fast. Well,,,it's TRUE! It takes less than 7 or 8 minutes to put this killer jet together or disassemble and have back in the bag. And you only need a 3mm socket head wrench to do it! The retract controller "test button" allows you to cycle the gear up and down without the need to have your transmitter on. Nice option!
Due to having some health issues at the time, I was not able to build the model myself. So a good friend and great builder buddy of mine offered to do the work for me so I could have it ready in time for our meet. Not giving his name, I will tell you he is a very picky builder and can be pretty critical of todays ARF's and jets kits. His opinion of this model was important to me so I asked him what his thoughts were. He was very impressed with it and said the parts fit, landing gear, servo leads and general constructions was far better than most kits he builds from other manufacturers , If you knew this guy you would know this HAD to be a really good model to get these kind of comments! Worth noting,,,,,,,,,,,, He said this plane went from start to finish in around 6 hours!!!! No modifications needed.
As for the flying, the plane performed exceptionally well with no bad habits. I do plan to move the CG back a bit in hopes of getting the up trim out of it and perhaps gaining even better landing performance.
In all,,,,,I'm REALLY happy with this awesome jet. Exceptional quality, great flyer, and it looks great!

Great Job Pilot!!!! And to think,,,,this plane is shipped to your door for under $2300.00 !!!! Amazing!

Last edited by RC Larry-RCU; 05-29-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:44 AM
NC Jetguy

Post Pilot 2.2M Predator

As soon as I saw Larry's Predator last weekend at FIF, I kept bugging him to fly it so I could judge the performance myself. After I watched him on Sunday, I came home and started looking at color schemes. Took me a day and a few e-mails to Tony to get mine ordered. Larry, our friend who did the build did an incredibly neat and clean install. If you get a chance, please post some Pics (I took some for myself but I think the community would love to see them).
Old 05-30-2018, 09:32 AM
RC Larry-RCU

Will do Ken! Great to hear you've already got one on order. You're gonna love it!!!!
Old 05-30-2018, 03:56 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Larry it flew awesome. I was impressed with the quality. You have a winner!
Old 06-01-2018, 02:13 PM
RC Larry-RCU

Originally Posted by NC Jetguy
As soon as I saw Larry's Predator last weekend at FIF, I kept bugging him to fly it so I could judge the performance myself. After I watched him on Sunday, I came home and started looking at color schemes. Took me a day and a few e-mails to Tony to get mine ordered. Larry, our friend who did the build did an incredibly neat and clean install. If you get a chance, please post some Pics (I took some for myself but I think the community would love to see them).
I guess you're not the only one digging it Ken. Charlie Scafie is ordering one now also!!
Old 06-02-2018, 08:24 AM
NC Jetguy

Default Servo arms

Please tell me what length servo arms are appropriate for each control surface. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:31 PM
horsefeetky

starting to put together the turbine ready version now.. k180 going in it with smoke..

i read the web page at chief aircraft that states throws and cg location. they suggest 238mm cg

but when i went to the pilot site they state cg of 275-283

big diff can those flying them tell me what is working out well for cg neutral point... it came with wires and ply hooks that say cg on them and they look to be looping around the main spar to check cg. any thoughts on that

also is there much need for down elevator mix in the flap positions.. and what battery for the brakes... 2s,3s, or life....
Old 06-04-2018, 09:32 AM
RC Larry-RCU

Originally Posted by horsefeetky
starting to put together the turbine ready version now.. k180 going in it with smoke..

i read the web page at chief aircraft that states throws and cg location. they suggest 238mm cg

but when i went to the pilot site they state cg of 275-283

big diff can those flying them tell me what is working out well for cg neutral point... it came with wires and ply hooks that say cg on them and they look to be looping around the main spar to check cg. any thoughts on that

also is there much need for down elevator mix in the flap positions.. and what battery for the brakes... 2s,3s, or life....
As for the CG, mine is set using the supplied CG loops and cable system they provided. However, my Predator does seem to be a bit nose heavy and carries more up-trim than I care to have. I'm moving my batteries around this week and plan to test again this weekend. I will post the results.

The brake/retract unit uses a 2 cell LiPo. LiFe does not supply enough voltage. Although I installed a 3000 Mha it only needs one on the 1200 to 1300 range. I'll be installing a 1320.

On the elevator/flap mix, mine required about a 1/8" of up, but I expect that to change once I change the CG. Regardless, it had no sudden change or tendency to nose up/down when the flaps were deployed. It behaves very well.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:06 AM
horsefeetky

anyone know what the two hex head bolts are used for that are in the parts bag. mine is the turbine ready version and i see no place to use them...

in the online instructions from pilot i see them as wind hold bolts through the current holes in the fuse where i now see a newer clamp method to secure the wing that already has a hex bolt in that clamp to tighten up when wing is installed.....

both the wing halves and the elevators halves were tapped through the metal tabs in each to make use of through bolts but now it appears they are using a clamp system for all and no through bolts are being used..

help please

Last edited by horsefeetky; 06-06-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:29 AM
Pilot-RC

anyone know what the two hex head bolts are used for that are in the parts bag. mine is the turbine ready version and i see no place to use them...

in the online instructions from pilot i see them as wind hold bolts through the current holes in the fuse where i now see a newer clamp method to secure the wing that already has a hex bolt in that clamp to tighten up when wing is installed.....

both the wing halves and the elevators halves were tapped through the metal tabs in each to make use of through bolts but now it appears they are using a clamp system for all and no through bolts are being used..

help please
the two hex head bolts is for spare
Old 06-07-2018, 06:05 AM
horsefeetky

Spare for what location I do not see that size but being used anywhere on the airframe it has me puzzled
Old 06-07-2018, 06:15 AM
Fireflynightshift

Originally Posted by RC Larry-RCU
As for the CG, mine is set using the supplied CG loops and cable system they provided. However, my Predator does seem to be a bit nose heavy and carries more up-trim than I care to have. I'm moving my batteries around this week and plan to test again this weekend. I will post the results.

The brake/retract unit uses a 2 cell LiPo. LiFe does not supply enough voltage. Although I installed a 3000 Mha it only needs one on the 1200 to 1300 range. I'll be installing a 1320.

On the elevator/flap mix, mine required about a 1/8" of up, but I expect that to change once I change the CG. Regardless, it had no sudden change or tendency to nose up/down when the flaps were deployed. It behaves very well.
Good day Gents,

I have had quite a few flights with my predator and what a ripper. Love the jets performance. I have gone down to a 850 Mah on the retracts. one about 8 flights it only draws 120 mah total when charging. With regards to the CofG use the Pilot supplied CG unit and you will be safe for test flight. Be prepared to move you batteries back as you get used to the jet. I have a lot of up elevator trim after test flight and after a few flights playing with battery positions and pushing the CG back it became better and the elevator trim also less until nothing. I used to have trim change with the lowering the to the 75mm as per recommended. I then increased to as much as possible think I got 85 or 90mm. Now I have no trim change and you can do nice slow wheelie landings. Let me know if you chaps have the same experience. Also I have found the Predator does not like to have the elevator released when landing. You need to hold and rather add power if you feel you are to slow. Will try and post a video later today.

Enjoy and happy flights.

JB
Old 06-07-2018, 06:31 AM
Pilot-RC

Spare for what location I do not see that size but being used anywhere on the airframe it has me puzzled
when you use the cg checking tools to check the CG. you need to use two bolts to put into the hole from inside the fuselage.
thanks.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:19 PM
horsefeetky

jb looking forward to the video and thank you for the heads up on things
Old 06-07-2018, 05:20 PM
RC Larry-RCU

Originally Posted by Fireflynightshift
Good day Gents,

I have had quite a few flights with my predator and what a ripper. Love the jets performance. I have gone down to a 850 Mah on the retracts. one about 8 flights it only draws 120 mah total when charging. With regards to the CofG use the Pilot supplied CG unit and you will be safe for test flight. Be prepared to move you batteries back as you get used to the jet. I have a lot of up elevator trim after test flight and after a few flights playing with battery positions and pushing the CG back it became better and the elevator trim also less until nothing. I used to have trim change with the lowering the to the 75mm as per recommended. I then increased to as much as possible think I got 85 or 90mm. Now I have no trim change and you can do nice slow wheelie landings. Let me know if you chaps have the same experience. Also I have found the Predator does not like to have the elevator released when landing. You need to hold and rather add power if you feel you are to slow. Will try and post a video later today.

Enjoy and happy flights.

JB
Good info to have. I plan to fly the Predator several more flights this weekend at a jet meet in Kinston NC. As you have stated, the Predator carries a noticeable amount of up trim balanced at the factory recommendation. I have removed the larger retract battery and installed a small 1320, loosing an extra 3 oz doing so. Not a lot of weight for a plane this size but hey,,,,,,,,,weight is weight!!!! I will be flying from a grass runway so I'll get a chance to see how it does with a 36lb turbine on the soft stuff. Will post thoughts on how it does with aft CG setting.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:40 PM
lfierro1

How are the electric landing gear holding up? I haven't heard anything bad yet, just wondering.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:18 PM
horsefeetky

setting mine up for maiden.

i think i will be at rear of the wing tube as tony from pilot suggested. i failed to ask him about the mix of elevator with flaps any suggestions on that. a measurement would be welcome.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:03 AM
Abedinpour

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lfierro1
How are the electric landing gear holding up? I haven't heard anything bad yet, just wondering.
HI, works fine and good thing about it has F/S for battery too when voltage drop below 7 volt , gears come down automaticly , but breaks is not that great , adjusting them is not that easy , and remember to disconnect the battery when receiver is off , because the breaks engage and drown the battery ,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.