Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pilot-rc PREDATOR 2.2m Sport jet / full composite

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pilot-rc PREDATOR 2.2m Sport jet / full composite

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 10:15 AM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default predator

Wings attach with bolts from LE and TE by flaps into blind nuts in fuselage. On TE, fill in the area on flap so bolt does not get trapped in end of flap.

Old 12-01-2022, 12:52 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I'm a little surprised you feel like you can break a Rebel and yet the Predator will hold up.

I've seen some pretty extreme flying with Rebels, way harder than I can push mine without any failures.
High speed passes with a 170, snap-rolls, etc.Hatch started cracking at the intake and pressure buffeting of the fuse would cause the hatch retention pin to start working its way out in flight. I'd have another if they could laminate some carbon reinforcement in key areas. It only weighed 22lbs dry. The Predator is heavier but at least it has some carbon in it, and other structural laminations built into it, whereas the Rebel fuse is just a basic fiberglass lay-up with some formers in it.

Last edited by bodywerks; 12-01-2022 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:42 PM
bodywerks

One more question and then I'll get to assembly: Did they ever fix the stab incidence issue that basically required about 1/8" up elevator trim?
Old 12-01-2022, 06:34 PM
bodywerks

Default First round of disappointment

Fuselage is now 1 piece
you set me up for disappointment. No way this is one piece. Now I wonder if I also missed out on the wing attachment update, bigger wing tube, better tank, and lighter weight. Won't know till tomorrow.
Did you order direct from pilot-RC? What was price to your door if you don't mind me asking? Ima be a little upset if I paid full price for old, outdated stock. This was $3700tmd. ARF would have been $2800.

Last edited by bodywerks; 12-01-2022 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:56 PM
bobzilla

Default predator

Never had an issue with trim up elevator on 5 predators, wonder who started that.

The box for 1 piece fuselage is super long.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:08 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by bobzilla
Never had an issue with trim up elevator on 5 predators, wonder who started that.

The box for 1 piece fuselage is super long.
re-read this thread. almost every predator jet carries at least 1/16" up elevator, most 1/8". My old predator carried 3/32".
Honestly, two piece fuse least of my worries, but all the other changes you mentioned are exactly from the failures I experienced. My last predator:
- bent the wing tube
- had a dead stick due to tank malfunction
-wings would separate from fuse in flight due to flawed retention design.
if I paid same price as you for an inferior design, I have a problem.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:29 PM
bobzilla

Default predator

I can only assume all 5 of my predator which had the exact cg to each other, never had an elevator up problem, must have been correct for me.

Old 12-01-2022, 09:02 PM
bodywerks

Well, got it opened and other than two piece fuse, appears to have all the other updates, except not sure about wing tube.
what diameter and thickness is yours? This is 25mmx 2mm. I think that's the same as my last one that bent.

Last edited by bodywerks; 12-02-2022 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2022, 12:38 PM
bodywerks

Just got the turbine installed. I didn't take a pic but I noticed the swiwin turbine exhaust sits high in relation to the jet pipe, by probably 1/8"or so. I verified that it's not the pipe itself as it is same incidence as the wing. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 12-12-2022, 03:28 PM
bodywerks

here's a pic. Not too concerned, just wondering if anyone else experienced this?
What is concerning, is one of my flap servos died on me while setting them up. Servo mount plate was quite warm. Turns out the flap hinge is poorly established, for lack of a better term. I'll deal with that separately, but does anyone know if the servos have some sort of thermal shutdown protection, or is the servo likely toast?
Old 12-12-2022, 04:00 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 160 Likes on 143 Posts

Engine need to be Center in the pipe…..do whatever is required to do that…..meaning raise the pipe or the motor….ect…

What servo are you talking about?
Old 12-12-2022, 04:47 PM
Skunkwrks

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bodywerks

here's a pic. Not too concerned, just wondering if anyone else experienced this?
What is concerning, is one of my flap servos died on me while setting them up. Servo mount plate was quite warm. Turns out the flap hinge is poorly established, for lack of a better term. I'll deal with that separately, but does anyone know if the servos have some sort of thermal shutdown protection, or is the servo likely toast?
I had three servos that died in the flaps position, one with no servo arm attached, the second was sitting idle, then poof, three one died just prior to maiden.
Same manufacturer on all three and they have refused to do anything after t was brought up to them .
Old 12-13-2022, 01:59 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by Dansy
Engine need to be Center in the pipe…..do whatever is required to do that…..meaning raise the pipe or the motor….ect…

What servo are you talking about?
Raising the front of the jetpipe would change the thrust angle. incidence in 0:0 in relation to the wing. I already chiseled away at the mount plate 1/16" to get it closer.
The servos are the Pilot digital 27g hv servos that come with the turbine ready version. I was informed by Tony at Pilot that the servos do have built-in thermal protection. But now I have to figure out how to fix the flap hinge.
Old 12-13-2022, 02:04 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by Skunkwrks
I had three servos that died in the flaps position, one with no servo arm attached, the second was sitting idle, then poof, three one died just prior to maiden.
Same manufacturer on all three and they have refused to do anything after t was brought up to them .
These are Pilot factory pre-installed servos from the turbine-ready version. This is my second Pilot 2.2 predator. First one never had a servo problem in several hundred flights. This servo worked again after it cooled down. it was the improperly established flap hinge that over-worked the servo.
Old 12-13-2022, 03:04 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 160 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bodywerks
Raising the front of the jetpipe would change the thrust angle. incidence in 0:0 in relation to the wing. I already chiseled away at the mount plate 1/16" to get it closer.
The servos are the Pilot digital 27g hv servos that come with the turbine ready version. I was informed by Tony at Pilot that the servos do have built-in thermal protection. But now I have to figure out how to fix the flap hinge.
Changing the thrust angle….really Ahah….that’s not a prop plane, I have done that many time…..I also lower and raise the engine…..much better the chiseled the engine rail…
Old 12-14-2022, 08:59 AM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by Dansy
Changing the thrust angle….really Ahah….that’s not a prop plane, I have done that many time…..I also lower and raise the engine…..much better the chiseled the engine rail…
Raise the engine=easy. Lowering=not so much. I'm not about to cut out the rails of a 'turbine ready' ARF and glue in new ones. Surely I am not the only person here that has a laser cut, jig-locked turbine rail assembly that was incorrectly centered. I also disagree that changing the incidence of the thrust tube doesn't change the thrust angle of the turbine exhaust. It's literally how thrust vectoring works.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:57 AM
dvcam99

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello together,

just made a quick foto of my EVO Jet turbine line up inside the Predator.

May this helps you a bit.

I`ll checked my elevator neutral flight trim too and it shows aprox. 1mm up trim.

BR
Dirk
Old 12-22-2022, 07:13 PM
airborn900
My Feedback: (25)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just ordered a predator 2.2. I know it will be a 2 piece fuse. What should I be looking for to make sure it has the correct updates to be safe. Wing attachment at LE and Flap bay, what is the correct wing tube size? Is there a carbon tube recommendation or replacement? Any pro/con in changing the tube out?

got the red and yellow one

wife says it looks like a Pheonix.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:22 AM
bodywerks

If you ordered it from banana hobby it is updated for sure, but yes, it will have bolts retaining wings n stabs, wing tube will be like 2.5mm thick, and UAT will no longer be integrated into the main tank.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:20 AM
rmb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rmb

My Predator just arrived servo brackets are plastic shown as aluminium in manual would you advise using them?
Old 03-15-2023, 09:30 AM
bobzilla

Default brackets

Show pictures
Old 03-15-2023, 10:47 AM
rmb

Sorry can't upload photos until I have submitted 10 posts not there yet. These brackets are the right angle brackets that you screw rudder aileron and flap servos to. 10 comes with kit.
Old 03-15-2023, 12:03 PM
rmb

My Predator just arrived servo brackets are plastic shown as aluminium in manual would you advise using them?
Old 03-15-2023, 01:06 PM
bobzilla

Default brackets

Yes, those are great. Used them on 5 predators, zero problems
Old 03-15-2023, 04:35 PM
rmb

Thanks just looking for reassurance. Could anyone give me some idea if this would be a later version of the Predator, wings clamp LE and TE, screw locks canopy on and fuel tank and air trap are separate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.