Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Sport Jet: T-One Models Mini Fortune / Mini T1

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Sport Jet: T-One Models Mini Fortune / Mini T1

Old 11-18-2019, 06:20 AM
Len Todd

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

If you run the gear to the mechanical stop on a battery w/o the controller, the gear motor will burn out. There are current limiters in the controller. If you use too high of a voltage, the gear motors may also burn out. The JP controller I had did have a voltage regulator in it. I ended up junking that controller cause I could never get the brakes working correctly. I replaced the JP with the LGC 15 and had to add a voltage regulator because I use 2S LiPos and the gear motors apparently can't take 2S LiPo voltages..
Old 11-18-2019, 06:22 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Are you using the retract controller that came with the gear? I burned out a couple retract motors when I initially started using a Xicoy controller, I’ve found the JP controller limits retract motor voltage to 7.5v, whereas the Xicoy controller was giving it the full 8.4v (using 2S LiPo) and thus I burned up two motors before I figured this out.
Switching out the retract motors is pretty easy and fortunately not that expensive, I keep a couple extra motors in my field box. -Tom
Old 11-18-2019, 08:37 AM
Ducted Fan Dan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the replies. I use the jp controller that came with the plane on a 2s LIFE with max volts at 7.2. I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one with a retract failure.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:01 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Ducted Fan Dan
Thank you for the replies. I use the jp controller that came with the plane on a 2s LIFE with max volts at 7.2. I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one with a retract failure.
If that is the case then the motor did not fail due to over voltage. I have noticed some inconsistency in the motors, in my first T1 Mini I used a Xicoy LG-15 controller with a 2S LiPo and never had a motor failure in 50+ flights. I setup my next Mini the same way (2S LiPo and Xicoy controller), cycled the gear three times successfully, on the fourth try the left main came down about half way and stopped, after some troubleshooting I determined the retract motor was dead. So, I replaced the motor and cycled the gear a few more times and then the right main failed to retract, failed about half way up. Replaced the motor on that one too, but this got me thinking about the voltage coming from the Xicoy controller. Long story short, I was able to verify that the JP controller regulated voltage at 7.5v, whereas the Xicoy did not regulate the 2S Lipo so the motors were getting 8.4v. So I put a small regulator set at 7.5v in line with my 2S Lipo and everything has been fine until about 2 weeks ago when the left main on one of my Minis would not extend for landing, which then resulted in a belly landing. When I got home I tried the gear again and it worked perfectly, figures! Anyway, I changed out the motor just to be on the safe side. Once you replace that motor I recommend that you cycle the gear a few times to make sure it works consistently. -Tom
Old 11-18-2019, 12:32 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

I have JP Gear in my CARF Joker and my L39 I use a 2S lipo on each and have never had a retract issue.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:14 PM
Ducted Fan Dan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. at only 30 bucks I might replace all 3.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:30 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I just ordered and received the LG15 to go with my JP gear. You guys are making me nervous now, if my gear don’t come down, it’s gear up across asphalt or in the dirt clods. I have a spare regulator I think I will use just to be safe.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:08 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by camss69
I just ordered and received the LG15 to go with my JP gear. You guys are making me nervous now, if my gear don’t come down, it’s gear up across asphalt or in the dirt clods. I have a spare regulator I think I will use just to be safe.
I have 2 of these fine controllers, thinking it was going to solve all my issues....not so much, in my mini JP gear has been solid with that controller but the brakes are still weak...

With T-1...not so lucky...but my last problem was the trunnions and one motor, after 2 almost full seasons....

The thing is if you see something that the plane doesn’t normally do, in my case sometime one gear wouldn’t do all the way up.....I stop flying that plane and took the gear apart once home and discover the trunnions problems.....got some trunnions and discover the motor also need to be replaced again...cut my loses and order the electron set no controller, I will used the LG15...
Old 11-18-2019, 06:10 PM
Len Todd

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I run my LGC 15 at 7.0 VDC via a 10 Amp Castle Creations voltage regulator. They work great. Once you set the LGC 15 up correctly you will love it and the brakes on your plane!
Old 11-18-2019, 06:15 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Dansy

I have 2 of these fine controllers, thinking it was going to solve all my issues....not so much, in my mini JP gear has been solid with that controller but the brakes are still weak...

With T-1...not so lucky...but my last problem was the trunnions and one motor, after 2 almost full seasons....

The thing is if you see something that the plane doesn’t normally do, in my case sometime one gear wouldn’t do all the way up.....I stop flying that plane and took the gear apart once home and discover the trunnions problems.....got some trunnions and discover the motor also need to be replaced again...cut my loses and order the electron set no controller, I will used the LG15...
I’m putting the electron gear in my T-1, I was thinking about ordering the electron for the mini as well...
Old 11-18-2019, 06:24 PM
Dansy

Originally Posted by camss69
I’m putting the electron gear in my T-1, I was thinking about ordering the electron for the mini as well...
If you fly that plane a lot then I say it’s a good plan....sometime over the winter I will take the gear out of the mini and evaluate their condition....will order a set as required I got about 200 flights on that one...tires are worn out completely (all 3).....I have the LG15 in both the T-1 and Mini, all I have to do is take the voltage regulator out.....

The only thing I didn’t check is the bolt pattern.....but I can fixed the hole with wood and hysol and drill the new one....I got 3 set of electron on the way LOL...
Old 11-18-2019, 06:29 PM
Dansy

Originally Posted by Len Todd
I run my LGC 15 at 7.0 VDC via a 10 Amp Castle Creations voltage regulator. They work great. Once you set the LGC 15 up correctly you will love it and the brakes on your plane!
Of course I don’t know what I’m doing.........LOL

I have a voltage regulator or I would have burn the thing down....in some of the last 200 flights.....
Old 11-19-2019, 07:42 AM
Tip22v

For the folks ordering Electrons for their Mini, are you ordering the er-30 size? If so, what size struts and wheels are you ordering?

Is anyone already flying the er-30 retracts in a mini?
Old 11-19-2019, 07:45 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Bob_B
I have JP Gear in my CARF Joker and my L39 I use a 2S lipo on each and have never had a retract issue.
Are you running the JP controller that came with the gear? The JP Controller that came with my gear regulates the voltage to 7.5v, so a 2S Lipo would not be a problem.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:33 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by Tip22v
For the folks ordering Electrons for their Mini, are you ordering the er-30 size? If so, what size struts and wheels are you ordering?

Is anyone already flying the er-30 retracts in a mini?
Electron have a set already figured out......you can also ask with no controller, if you already have the LG15.....just ask for the setting...
Old 11-19-2019, 09:40 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Dansy
Electron have a set already figured out......you can also ask with no controller, if you already have the LG15.....just ask for the setting...
I have a set of er-30 retracts NIB, so I guess I can just order the preconfigured set for the T1 mini minus the retracts and the controller?
Old 11-19-2019, 09:57 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by Tip22v
I have a set of er-30 retracts NIB, so I guess I can just order the preconfigured set for the T1 mini minus the retracts and the controller?
I haven’t order the one for the mini, yet.....Here’s what it says on the electron site...Description

Complete combo ready for install in Fortune T1 Mini (T-One Models). Tested and aproved by Electron team.

Includes:

2x ER-30eVo main retracts + 1 nose ER-30eVo with Direct servo linked in nose trunion

2x Main Electron legs + 1 nose Electron leg

2x Main wheels with electromagnetic brakes (Electron system) + 1 nose Wheel

1x Electronic control selected
Old 11-19-2019, 10:17 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The stock electric gear that come with the Mini T are one of the few electric gear sets I haven't had trouble with.... zero problems to date!
Old 11-19-2019, 11:38 AM
Tip22v

Other than burning out a couple of motors (which was my fault) when switching to a Xicoy controller, I have not had any issues either until a couple of weeks ago when I had to belly land because my left main gear would not extend. It worked perfectly after the belly landing when cycling it, I still cannot figure out why it failed to extend. I have since replaced the motor so we'll see if that addresses the issue. In the meantime, I'm considering switching my two minis to Electrons as I have had really good luck with Electrons on other aircraft.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Dansy

I just realized that I have a set of e30....that was in my harlock viper....will have to see what I need to covert it to the mini.......
Old 11-19-2019, 06:37 PM
T3chDad

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

200ish flights...no problems with the gear. Probably 150ish with the LG15 controller. It has an settings to control the current so no issues with that.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:56 AM
bushong572
My Feedback: (59)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ducted Fan Dan
I got another flight Sunday with no issues except that the landing gear would get hung up on the wheel wells on the way up. When I landed I turned the plane upside down on the stand and noticed the main gear struts were not extending all the way. I'm going to lube strut and try to get them to move more freely. The bigger issue is while I was actuating the gear up and down with the transmitter the nose retract quit working. When I got it home I unplugged the nose retract and powered it up with an external battery and nothing. The main retracts both work with an external battery. Has anyone seen this before? Pacific RC Jets sells the JP motors for the gear for $30 so it won't be a big deal to get another one but it was strange that it happened all of the sudden.
I have the same problem with the mains after only 20 or so flights. The gear had plenty of clearance in the beginning. Now, the tires are starting to rub in the wheel well because the struts are not extending out 100% after compression. I removed the struts and placed a washer (as a spacer) in the retract unit. That has solved that problem but it now appears I have burned out a motor.
How do I get a replacement?
Old 11-20-2019, 05:12 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by bushong572
I have the same problem with the mains after only 20 or so flights. The gear had plenty of clearance in the beginning. Now, the tires are starting to rub in the wheel well because the struts are not extending out 100% after compression. I removed the struts and placed a washer (as a spacer) in the retract unit. That has solved that problem but it now appears I have burned out a motor.
How do I get a replacement?
Pacific Jet has replacement motors.....
Old 11-20-2019, 05:46 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

You need to lubricate the pins on all of the strut joints. The strut cylinder itself is not the issue
Old 11-20-2019, 06:29 AM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

If you have not received your ordered T1 already it's going to cost an additional $200 for UPS shipping or you will have to wait until after the New year. Apparently, EMS is no longer taking large boxes. My mini has been sent back twice.
Tone

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.