Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Are the 1/5 scale cars worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:21 AM
largebrowncat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the 1/5 scale cars worth it?

I mean, $1000+ to start, and then hundreds upon hundreds of for upgrades?

For those of you who have tried them in addition to smaller scale cars, your input is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:38 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Are the 1/5 scale cars worth it?

Personally, yeah, totally worth it.

I have 2, the Baja 5B and the Duratrax Firehammer, love both.

The thing is, its a pretty different experience, and yeah it is a lot more expensive. Due to their scale, theyre also more prone to damage if not handled properly, and that damage can cost a lot to repair.

That all said, I've gotten so much enjoyment out of both of those cars - way worth the price for me.

If you can afford it, go for it.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:19 AM
jgeck90

we have a large scale section, you will get more ideas/suggestions if you posted it in the rite area.
jeff
Old 07-31-2007, 11:58 AM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

If you really look at the price a 1/5-1/6 scale car isn't all that expensive. Take a look at what people spend on upgrades for their Tmaxx, and you'll see what I mean. Not only that but with a large scale you don't have to buy glow plugs every week, fuel is much cheaper, and they run forever.

Trust me, once you try one you'll know that it was more than worth it.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:33 PM
s7jstep1

one reason why i never got a 1/5 is because nobody else has one and i couldnt race on the track at the lhs.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:01 PM
NitroVette

DrEvil is right on the money. Although the initial buy in is expensive the fuel is cheap. Nitro is $25 a gallon and Super is $3.00 a gallon. All you need is a high mA receiver pack and you can run all day for a few bucks. Check out the large scale forum there's some awesome vehicles over there.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:21 PM
drevil

ORIGINAL: largebrowncat
and then hundreds upon hundreds of for upgrades?
I just wanted to comment on that. Sure upgrades are expensive for these cars but don't think for a second that you can't have a blast without them. I've been running my FG Marder for many years (before there were hardly any posts in the Giant Scale forum!) and other than an aftermarket air filter and some light cylinder porting it's completely stock. Just because everyone buys alloy this and alloy that doesn't mean it's a requirement.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:42 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest problem I see with 1/5th scale is findind a place to use them. Personally I'm more interested in racing than bashing. My track does not allow 1/5 due to their size. Having no where to use them may or may not be a factor for you.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:57 PM
drevil

ORIGINAL: GRANT ED

The biggest problem I see with 1/5th scale is findind a place to use them. Personally I'm more interested in racing than bashing. My track does not allow 1/5 due to their size. Having no where to use them may or may not be a factor for you.
I agree. I bought mine with no intention of ever racing it so that isn't a problem. Since large scale tracks are pretty rare in the US most buyers get them for bashing.

It also depends on whether or not you have somewhere to run them. If you live in an urban area you probably won't have much space to run a large scaler. I live in a rural area where large grass fields and dirt roads are a dime a dozen so large scale made alot of sense for me.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:15 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Are 1/5 scales "worth it"? The simple answer is no. None of our toys are worth it. With that said, I have 100+ vehicles from 1/18th through 1/4, on and off road . If you can afford the addiction, I say FEED IT.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:58 AM
jzure

I'm pretty late to this forum question but I have two 1/5 cars - Losi 5T and a Chimera. They are the coolest cars and I own a lot of RC cars of different sizes.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:44 PM
7h3C47

Something about the larger scale vehicles just doesn't appeal to me, but I appreciate they can handle a lot better than the smaller scale stuff, especially off-road.