Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Old 04-12-2018, 10:56 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikturn
Congrats on your US 1000 kit. If you start a build thread I’ll follow along as well.

A good friend of mine gave me an already built US 1000 airframe. The covering job is real ugly (all black with orange flames?) so I need to recover it and maybe put some retracts in it. It currently has fixed tricycle gear. I bought a Super Tigre S2500 and G2300 for it. I think they’re both similar in power but the S2500 is quite a bit heavier.
I had the 2500 in mine, I had to quite it to 98 db, the chocking that required lead to the phrase sicker tiger. cause it was always needing attention, but enough about that. either of your engines should fly it nicely. how is the wt of the airframe, and what is it already set up for? I had the e and r servos in the tail and did not have to add dead wt to balance it. mine started life as a trike and I moved it to a tail dragger down the road.

joe
Old 04-13-2018, 07:58 PM
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I finished my US 1000 a couple of months back, powered by a Super Tigre 3250. Can't wait to put it in the air! May I join the Brotherhood?
Old 04-14-2018, 08:16 AM
Michael's

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Giant Ultrasport

Hey Ken my name is Ken as well anyway I have plans and also provide a kit for Ultrasport at 120"ws if youd be interested..My Ph# is 734/895/1913 as I love this plane as well and have several sets of plans so let me know if youd be interested...Ken
Old 04-14-2018, 09:11 AM
mmattockx

I can't imagine a 10ft span ultrasport, that's huge. What do you get for finished weight and what engine size?

Mark
Old 04-15-2018, 08:34 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Originally Posted by paladin
I had the 2500 in mine, I had to quite it to 98 db, the chocking that required lead to the phrase sicker tiger. cause it was always needing attention, but enough about that. either of your engines should fly it nicely. how is the wt of the airframe, and what is it already set up for? I had the e and r servos in the tail and did not have to add dead wt to balance it. mine started life as a trike and I moved it to a tail dragger down the road.

joe
Not sure of the weight yet but it does have a lot of washers for weight up in the nose section. That’s why I was thinking of the S2500 instead of the G2300. Assuming they both run well, the CG will determine which engine I’ll go with. What’s interesting is the S2500 has a smaller carb than the G2300.

I told you it was ugly!

G2300

S2500

Old 04-16-2018, 04:22 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Is anyone putting a gas engine in their US1000? If so please post some pics.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:22 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I'm guessing from others experiences that the US 1000 comes out tail heavy. That being the case this thing is going to have to go on a diet for my 1.20 to work out. Lightening the tail feathers shouldn't be much of a problem. I'm thinking if I put some lightening holes in the 3/16th sides or maybe replace the 3/16th with 1/8th side sheeting that would get rid of a lot of weight behind the cg.
​​​​​​​What do you guys think?
Old 04-16-2018, 08:15 AM
paladin

KaP2011 - I built up my empennage (thought that was part of the kit) and mounted the servos in the tail (2x 99in-oz futaba servos) and it balanced w/o nose wt w a true turn spinner.

Quikturn - your front end is just a bunch of balsa blocks, the plans should show that correct size if you have to replace them. also check the annular ring (the ply ring in front of the balsa blocks). anyway the previous owner did not have the correct tools and did not sand down the nose, I would clamp my vibrating sander in the vice on my work bench w 60 grit sand paper up turn it on and sand it down to the annular ring.

I assume it is glassed from the pic's that will make it really tail heavy. I would look at moving the engine as far forward on those mounts as you can and making new balsa chunks to surround it.

Last edited by paladin; 04-16-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:35 PM
Quikturn

The US 1000 is all monokote. Should come off easy especially with a heat gun. I’ll strip it all down and re-profile the nose section down to the ring. I may have to lighten up the rear fuselage/tail section if I can.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:37 PM
Quikturn

Originally Posted by RDJeff

I finished my US 1000 a couple of months back, powered by a Super Tigre 3250. Can't wait to put it in the air! May I join the Brotherhood?

RDJeff, your US 1000 looks fantastic! I assume it’s glassed.

Great job!
Old 04-19-2018, 08:09 AM
paladin

The US 1000 is all monokote. Should come off easy especially with a heat gun. I’ll strip it all down and re-profile the nose section down to the ring. I may have to lighten up the rear fuselage/tail section if I can.
monokote makes the job easier, but watch out for those spots where the color stays with the plane cause they will show through the new covering. I've tried monokote trim solvent but all I ever got it to do was smear the color. I have had some luck cutting out what I can then covering with beige interior house paint (everyone has a beige room), and balsa rite over that. just be sure to check the balsa rite and paint play well together first.

Joe
Old 04-19-2018, 09:09 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the heat that make it leave the color. You will have much less of a problem if you remove the old covering without heat. (More work, but worth it.)
Old 04-19-2018, 10:22 AM
Quikturn

In the past, I had lots of problems removing old monokote without heat. It would tear easily. Then I tried using a heat gun while pulling on the covering and it came off much easier. I don’t use a lot of heat. Just enough to make the covering a bit softer.

Also, I had color/adhesive remain with & without heat. Never tried trim solvent to remove covering. I imagine it would drive the coloring deeper into the wood.

If im lucky, it’ll be Ultra Cote.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:12 AM
paladin

ya, they took the uv protectant out of monokote. so even the extra on roles in my workshop goes bad (the color layer and the Mylar fracture together or separately). my ultra sport 60 (maddened in 1986) was recovered in 2005 needs another recover. but the last flight of my us60 it lost pieces, I landed and found three wing bays shattered. its mostly stripped now the metal flake blue from 2005 came off well, but the original yellow is coming off in little shards, any amount of bending and it shatters like glass.

also had a lot of luck removing old color layer that sticks to wood with a razor plain.

joe
Old 04-23-2018, 08:48 PM
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, but there is no glass at all on this one! The wings are covered in white ChinaCote, with MonoKote for the red and blue stripes. The fuse is painted with System 3 paint, with Minwax sanding sealer underneath.

RDJeff, your US 1000 looks fantastic! I assume it’s glassed.

Great job!
Old 05-22-2018, 03:24 PM
smkrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The US60 kit is now listed as discontinued.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:20 PM
mmattockx

Originally Posted by smkrcflyer
It was only a matter of time. Good thing plans are available for free and laser cutters are willing to cut short kits of the US designs.

Mark
Old 05-23-2018, 04:37 AM
paladin

do not worry, they will bring it back in 8 years.

Joe
Old 05-23-2018, 05:07 AM
RoyR

Originally Posted by smkrcflyer
When they released them a few years ago I bought two. I built one and had a elevator servo failure and lost it. I have the one kit left. I guess if I build that and crash my Ultra Sport days will be over.
Maybe I'll save it for posterity.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:10 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyR
When they released them a few years ago I bought two. I built one and had a elevator servo failure and lost it. I have the one kit left. I guess if I build that and crash my Ultra Sport days will be over.
Maybe I'll save it for posterity.
Since you have the plans Roy, make templates of all the Wing Ribs and Formers from your other kit and you'll always be able to have a US60 in your hangar!
Old 05-24-2018, 07:04 AM
paladin

what I do is use the kit as a template and cut a new kit my self, I can take wt out that way. but my us60 is 32 years old so I never had to.

Joe
Old 05-27-2018, 08:10 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Flew the 46 ARF’s again today, last time out the YS blew the stopper out of the stock tank. I replaced it with a 10 oz Sullivan flex tank which if you put it on its side fits perfectly. Some creative tube bending and with the pressurized YS system it worked perfectly today! We flew the two together for the first time today, although they aren’t meant to be race planes we couldn’t help ourselves, the YS80 appeared to everyone watching to be faster the than the one with the OS55 but to me flying the YS they were really close! Didn’t get any pics of the planes but here’s a pic of the tank install in case anyone else has plans for the YS.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:58 AM
paladin

cam, when I was doing liquid fuel I used dubro tanks because they don't have seams. I don't remember if the flex tanks have seams, but the reason no seams are so important is it will start to tear right at the stopper and leak. just an FYI.

I used to resize tanks by spraying pam on a cookie sheet, heating in the oven then pushing the end I wanted to resize down on the cookie sheet and leaving it to get solid again. some times it took a couple of these attempts to get it to fit. the cookie sheet lost heat fast so there was not a lot of working time. but the most important part was having a spare tank to get the temp right. I would put shavings on the tray and slowly bring the oven temp up till it melted the shavings but did not burn them. fyi again.

Joe
Old 05-29-2018, 05:28 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by paladin
cam, when I was doing liquid fuel I used dubro tanks because they don't have seams. I don't remember if the flex tanks have seams, but the reason no seams are so important is it will start to tear right at the stopper and leak. just an FYI.

I used to resize tanks by spraying pam on a cookie sheet, heating in the oven then pushing the end I wanted to resize down on the cookie sheet and leaving it to get solid again. some times it took a couple of these attempts to get it to fit. the cookie sheet lost heat fast so there was not a lot of working time. but the most important part was having a spare tank to get the temp right. I would put shavings on the tray and slowly bring the oven temp up till it melted the shavings but did not burn them. fyi again.

Joe
Thanks for the info! I have used the Sullivan Flex tanks A TON with YS engines in warbird racers and never had an issue with them yet. They do expand a lot when pressurized so when this one pressurizes it pushes against the canopy and takes up the slop and stops it’s from rattling so it’s actually good in this situation lol! This is the first one I’ve reshaped, I heated the end of it up with my heat gun and and the pressed it flat agains a piece of cold steel while it cooled just to give me a few extra millimeters of clearance lengthwise.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:54 PM
lonestoner

Default First flight of 2018

Hi all, heading out to muncie this comming sunday for first session of the season.
this time my fire breathing moki 140 will have a 18x8 prop with a few inches of ground clearance .
still new engine running on the rich side for now .
long live the us 1000

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.