BJ Craft Eternity

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 01:25 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BJ Craft Eternity

Hello Everyone!

It's been a while since I have done a build. I have been waiting for B.J. to let me know when the time was right to build and fly his next generation airplane. I just received his newest effort, the Eternity. This is what he flew at the F3A World Championships in Argentina.

My friend in France, Jean-Paul Delteil, will be building the Immortal. There are differences between the two, primarily the wings and the fact that the Eternity is set up for the Contra Drive. It will be interesting to see the similarities and differences.

B.J. was very emphatic when he told me that the Eternity should not be thought of as a biplane. Rather, it is the next generation.... I am anxious to try it. I really liked the BiSide bipe. I thought it presented well and flew very nicely. But, it was difficult to set up. I think this may be similar, it will take some time to get it right but I expect that once it is set up, it should shine.

Let's start with the packaging:
As you can see from the pics, it is the same packaging that BJ Craft has been using for a while. The wooden crate with an anchored support for the fuselage inside. Everything is packed neatly and well protected. You can see that the box suffered some damage at the hands of UPS but the contents survived. There was a small crack on the bottom side near the gear mount but that is superficial and can be easily fixed.

After unpacking, I let the wings, stabs and rudder sit in their packing for a day or so in order to let them acclimate to the humidity here. The fuse looks great and it looks huge but feels very light.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:39 PM
shannah

Next up is the Weigh-In. Everyone is always curious about the weights and, with this being a biplane, I am curious to see how it came out. I was pretty impressed by the weight of the fuse so the scale can tell the story:

Fuse 990g
Top Wing 405g
Bottom Wing 400g
Stabs with tubes 170g
Rudder 75g
Landing Gear Legs and HW 110g
Cabane Struts and HW 55g
Wheels, pants and axle bolt HW 55g
Total: 2260g

That is really impressive for this large airframe. As a comparison, the same component weights for the Agenda are 2250g.

What I find really astounding is the 990g fuselage weight. The Agenda fuse weighs 1140g. For comparison, the smaller BiSide fuse weighed 995g.....
Old 03-25-2018, 07:05 PM
fizzysmack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. Can't wait to hear what you think of it Steve. I ordered an Adverun unit from Hacker DE and I think this might be the plane for it.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:36 PM
shannah

I'm going to post some pictures of the plane, but I have to put a disclaimer first. RCU has changed the way they allow you to post pics in a thread. Previously, you could write text and post a thumbnail pic relating to that text and make a very readable post. Now, for some reason, they no longer support thumbnail inline pics and every picture is posted inline at full size and resolution. This kind of ruins the whole build blog experience in my opinion. If enough people complain maybe they will change it back to the way it was. For now, you have to bear with me while I try and figure out a way to post pictures and text that make sense and can be followed. Sorry for the rant...

Anyway, here are some pictures of the structure. Overall, the construction is super light weight and very clean. I have not tried to screw the wings down into their mounts yet but it fits together very well. The bottom wing looks like a great fit to the wing saddle and the top wing has no real gaps around the wing and the saddle. You can see the foam board support crutch, similar to the Agenda, running the length of the fuselage.

Looking down the fuse from the nose. Standard BJ Craft support structure. LG mount is the typical style

Very light lay up on the fuse. The foam board support adds a lot of stiffness.

The LG structure is just like the other BJ Craft planes. I will run a bead of Hysol 9462 around the glue joints. If you fly off of a rough field you might want to reinforce it.

Top wing saddle. The wing attaches with two screws to the saddle, similar to the BiSide

Bottom wing saddle. It is similar to the BiSide with two bolts in the rear and two front pins. The front pins look to be made out of Delrin.

Nice fit of the bottom wing into the saddle

Bottom wing snug fit

Top wing looks like it has a good fit and alignment, but I haven't tried to bolt it in yet

Location for the top wing screws. I will probably beef this up a bit by applying Hysol 9462 as I have done in previous planes.

LG mount location on the belly of the fuse

Clean nose layup. Very stiff.

Super light hatch. It uses the spring loaded sliding pin latch.

Last edited by shannah; 03-27-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:04 PM
shannah

Here’s a look at the laser cut parts and misc hardware.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:01 PM
g_mkoch

Nice to see a build thread. I got one from Mike Mueller last year after the Nats (He made me buy it ) and I've been flying it since November. Overall I think it flies better than the Biside the pitch coupling is gone though there still some roll coupling on KE. The plane seems to like a slightly faster pace than the Biside but it presents well in the air and is not as bouncy in high wind conditions.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:13 PM
fdo300
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Steve

I also received one last December from Mike, I’m very happy with the quality and finish, first BJcraft for me.
Now it is waiting on the workbench but hope this threat help to pull my hands on it,
no decided yet on the engine, seems Contra and Adverrum are “the” alternative but I would like to know what are you thinking or what you already choose.
please keep us updated on your progress.

Regards

Fernando
Old 03-29-2018, 07:27 PM
shannah

Hi Fernando
My plan is to use the new BJ Craft X-Drive. B.J. Park told me that it is almost ready so if all goes well I will use that new drive. I am really anxious to see how it has turned out. If it is ready then I will use it and post more info on another thread.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:44 AM
big_G

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Shannah...Nice job so far. Where did you find that folding plane stand?
Old 03-30-2018, 12:18 PM
shannah

You can get it from these guys, PowerSearch, SearchFit PowerSearch

You might be able to find it elsewhere. It's pretty slick. It folds flat and is lightweight. I am sure I'll use it at the field when putting this thing together. I got it for my EDF and have been using it for a while. Very nice. The only drawback for the Eternity is that the cradle is kind of wide and the fuse can roll around when it is inverted. I may make a foam adapter so it can hold the fuse better when I'm putting the lower wing on.

I hope to get more building done this weekend, but I do have to get ready for my contest next weekend at OCMA.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:29 PM
shannah

Here's more info on that stand
Metal model stand-Parts-HSDJETS
Old 03-31-2018, 06:44 PM
fdo300

I saw some pictures of BJ unit but seems it’s taking longer than expected to realease it, I would like to see some reports but I very confident on the quality and I planning to use one if they are ready soon.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:16 AM
shannah

I see that Jean-Paul is getting ahead of me with his Immortal build.

I checked alignment of the wings and they are both square to the tail. I attached the plywood wing bolt reinforcement plate to the lower wing.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:17 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fdo300
I saw some pictures of BJ unit but seems it’s taking longer than expected to realease it, I would like to see some reports but I very confident on the quality and I planning to use one if they are ready soon.

An alternative to waiting, you might consider be the Akiba belt drive Contra which is available now
‚²[‚Ü‚éƒRƒ“ƒgƒ‰ƒxƒ‹ƒgƒhƒ‰ƒCƒu
????????????????JPN33F130086?So-net???
(just use Chrome or Google translate)

There is a YT video of it running ... sounds very nice

Old 04-09-2018, 11:36 AM
fdo300

Steve

What servos are you using on the Eternity ??

Love the secraft washer for the wing bolts !!

Regards
Old 04-09-2018, 12:00 PM
g_mkoch

Steve

Regards
BLS173SV for Ailerons (I used Ditex 0606)
BLS571SV for Ele/Rudd
Old 04-09-2018, 08:54 PM
shannah

Steve

Regards
I am using the Futaba BLS173SV for ailerons, BLS171SV for Rudder and 9170SV for flying stab. Futaba7003 receiver. All servos on SBus. Servos are from RCJapan, receiver from Chief Aircraft.

I have been using SBus on all of my planes (even my sport scale plane) and it makes the installation and setup so much easier.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:00 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Steve,

The Eternity is a Contra specific air frame correct and the Immortal will take a traditional setup? Can I get the Eternity wings for a Immortal?

Thanks,

Bill H.
Dist2
Old 04-13-2018, 12:52 PM
shannah

I had a window of building time so I was able to install the wings. Per B.J.'s note to me, here are the incidence settings:

Bottom wing +0.5dgr.

Top wing 0dgr(+0.5dgr) adjust by knife edge tendency

Flying tail -0.5~0dgr.

The good thing about this fuselage is that you can use the left side of the fuselage hatch frame as your zero reference point. Therefore, I set the fuselage in place and adjusted it so that the incidence reading on the hatch mount was zero.
Next, I installed the bottom wing mounting dowels. I was going to use the supplied dowels, which look nice and appear to be made from a material like Delrin, but I decided to go to a tighter fitting dowel with just a bit more diameter. I made sure the lower wing was at the referenced +0.5dgr and glued in the mounting dowels.

Next, I installed the cabanes on the lower wing, did some slight trimming around the location where the wing bolt enters the strut due to a small high point there, and mounted the top wing.

When mounting the top wing I secured the center portion of the wing to the fuse saddle and did not screw in the wing cabanes just yet. I checked incidence and added a small shim to the rear of the cabane strut to start off at +0dgr.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:08 PM
shannah

I used the robart incidence meter and my digital meter to adjust the fuselage position to zero. I kept the digital one on the hatch frame so I could make sure nothing moved as I checked wing incidence.

I test fit the wing using the supplied Delrin dowels and I felt like I would prefer a tighter fitting dowel. The supplied dowels would probably be fine but I opted for a tighter fit.

These pins were something I had on hand, a bit larger OD

I test fit the dowels and wrapped tape around the end to serve as a mark for the depth.

Next I mounted the wing and then checked incidence. All was well so I moved on to gluing in the pins. I measured tips to center of the vertical fine for alignment. All was well.

I slathered some Hysol 9462 into the wing dowel holes and shielded the wing with cling wrap.

Everything came out great so now I am ready to install and make sure it is all lined up.

Incidence is good

Upper Wing incidence looks good

Alignment check on top and bottom looks good as well. Next will be the stab.

Last edited by shannah; 04-14-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:12 PM
shannah

Originally Posted by AmericanSpectre505
Hey Steve,

The Eternity is a Contra specific air frame correct and the Immortal will take a traditional setup? Can I get the Eternity wings for a Immortal?

Thanks,

Bill H.
Dist2
I am not sure if the wings will be interchangeable. I'll try and check on that.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:56 PM
shannah

Next up is the flying stab installation.

First, install the stab tube socket into the fuse. Then check it for level and proper side to side alignment.

Glue the socket in place with CA.

Double check the stab alignment to make sure the halves are properly aligned in incidence and side to side. Mine was fine. In the past I had to make a minor adjustment here and there, but this one was right on the money.

Next, I always line the root of the flying stabs with felt. I got mine from Hobby Lobby. It helps the stab glide easily on the fuse and allows you to keep an even gap.

Make sure you notice the side of the stabs that have the hard points for the screws. One side has screws, the other side does not. The side without screws is the one that you glue the CF rods in for permanent installation. The right side has the screws, the left side is glued in.

I finished up by making the servo mount for my Futaba 9170SV servo. B.J. recommends this for the stab. I am going all SBUS on this one, as I did on my Agenda. For that matter, all airplanes I build are SBUS now. I love it. The servo programming app is cool and lets you fine tune everything. Quick and easy.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:17 PM
shannah

I'm trying to post pictures with descriptions, but after 6 attempts, I am not making any headway. Sorry to say that RCU has really screwed up in changing to this new format. I'll keep trying.....
Old 04-15-2018, 08:18 PM
shannah

Check the stab alignment
Old 04-15-2018, 08:19 PM
shannah

Looks good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.